Exhaust got real noisy

prometheus

Hi guys,

Quick question.

I was out driving all day yesterday and noticed that the noise coming of the exhaust (OEM) got really noisy around 2k RPM, before it was fairly quiet till around 3k RPM then you would get the normal rasp, but the rasp has gone and a fairly noticeable increase in noise has appeared.

I haven't looked under the car yet, but nothing has changed, I loved the sound from it before, but now it sounds like little boy racer in his baddly modified corsa.

Anyone ever had this happen to them?

Cheers

Had a quick look this morning and where the backbox joins the middle section, it's totally broken off at the flange.

Gonna take it to a friend who does alot of work on my cars, he has a pit and a mig welder, hopefully he can patch it back together again!

Could really do without trying to source a new backbox!

Just had a thought, I had the drive shafts replaced 2 weeks ago due to the clicky axle problem, I wonder would they have caused the exhaust to break doing them?

They might well have, but you have no way of proving it. Just hope you can weld it up and its sorted. Otherwise contact a trader, they tend to have OEM back boxes gathering dust.

I lost a wheel nut once, after Nissan had serviced it, and obviously hadnt torqued it up right, but no way to prove they did it :surrender:

Guys went round to a mate of mine who has done some work on my past cars and he sorted the broken exhaust out.

He basically cut the joint out and then welded a patch in place, tell you what it must have always been blowing because the exhaust is quiet as a mouse now! Before it got real noisy before it sounded pretty good, but now I'm not sure if I like it that quiet!

Definatly improved the performance anyways, as before when it had totally gone it was noisy but felt so slugish.

Anyways I have attached a photo of the repair, let me know what you think.

Guys went round to a mate of mine who has done some work on my past cars and he sorted the broken exhaust out.

He basically cut the joint out and then welded a patch in place, tell you what it must have always been blowing because the exhaust is quiet as a mouse now! Before it got real noisy before it sounded pretty good, but now I'm not sure if I like it that quiet!

Definatly improved the performance anyways, as before when it had totally gone it was noisy but felt so slugish.

Anyways I have attached a photo of the repair, let me know what you think.

I'd say you're talking yourself into a sports exhaust. ;)