Gearbox

Dicky

When changing from first to second I can feel something catching through the gear lever as second engages, it’s as if I’m just catching the edge of something. It doesn’t happen every time but enough to get on your nerves. I’ve had it back to the main dealer who says it’s normal and all Z’s are like this. To be fair he let me drive a new one and it was just as bad. I posted this problem on the old site and received some feedback but now think the description I gave then was a bit unclear and thought Id check again. Anyone else suffer this problem?

Guest prescience

I think this notchiness is just a 'feature' however unwelcome.

The issue to which Chesterfield refers is a known problem with the 6th gear synchro; this manifests as extreme difficulty engaging 6th gear from high revs in other gears (most notably 3rd or 4th but sometimes 5th). It does not affect downshifts (6->X) - normally anyhow.

If you have the above 6th gear issue, take it to a dealer (they should be aware of this problem) and they will road-test it and if they agree, replace the affected synchro (or even the entire box under warranty) but they do (did) have to send the gearbox away for inspection, so the car may be off the road for a while.

Not sure if there is a TSB for this but don't believe so

think teddyonholdiay is clued up on this issue IIRC

Yeah, mine does this shifting to second when cold, but I have to say it's hardly noticable now the weather has warmed up, even if I've not driven it for a day or two.

I guess it depends how notchy it is to whether they'll do anything about it, but imo, it's nothing to worry about.

I believe there is a US related TSB regarding the manual box supplied there but here no TSB has been issued although there are numerous issues reported.

The sixth gear synchro is a triple synchroiser and does get affeected by premature wear. Individual components are not replaced just the entire box.

Get onto the stealer and get it done under warranty.

When changing from first to second I can feel something catching through the gear lever as second engages, it’s as if I’m just catching the edge of something. It doesn’t happen every time but enough to get on your nerves. I’ve had it back to the main dealer who says it’s normal and all Z’s are like this. To be fair he let me drive a new one and it was just as bad. I posted this problem on the old site and received some feedback but now think the description I gave then was a bit unclear and thought Id check again. Anyone else suffer this problem?

how many miles has your car done? , what year is it ?when did this problem crop up??

The car was first registered in April 04. I bought it second hand from a local main dealer in the August with 1.4K on the clock and reported the problem within the first couple of months. This dealer said it was OK and to make sure I fully depressed the clutch. Needless to say I gave them a wide berth after that. The dealer I mentioned in my earlier post is the second main dealer to look at it.

It’s going in for its P2 service tomorrow at yet another dealership, so Ill have a word with them.

I'm with you on the 1st and second gearing problem. I'm coming from a tiptronic gearbox so I had the initial 'getting used to manual' problems but pottering around in first and second I still looka bit like a novice but it doesn't happen all the time

I find when I'm driving its very difficult to find the biting point, I either over rev of fall short on revs, slowly getting used to it but I don't think its as good as it should be, 3rd upwards are fantastic, however, changing down is still a bit jerky