paypal help needed quick

nixy

Hi Guys. I have somebody wanting to pay a deposit for my son's bike into my paypal account. Am I ok to do this without him being able to claim anything back off me if he changes his mind or something daft? It's a private sale but he just wants to make sure we get the deposit without having to come to the house.

Nic

Am not 100% sure Nixy, but I believe if the buyer were to raise any "dispute" with paypal (after taking the bike away) then paypal can automatically take the money away from your account.

As I say, not 100% certain as I dont do a lot with paypal, but I think disputes (whether warranted or not) can result in monies being taken back.

Am not 100% sure Nixy, but I believe if the buyer were to raise any "dispute" with paypal (after taking the bike away) then paypal can automatically take the money away from your account.

As I say, not 100% certain as I dont do a lot with paypal, but I think disputes (whether warranted or not) can result in monies being taken back.

This is correct. Any buyer can file a dispute with Paypal even if it is totally bogus and Paypal will take the money out of your account, until the dispute has been resolved. If you are unsure, i would personally ask for cash, cheque or other cleared funds into your account. If the person is a serious buyer, they should have no problem in doing this for you.

Take Paypal payment as a deposit , but dont release the bike until you have removed the funds from the Paypal as the buyer can put a query in and Paypal will hold the funds until the query is settled..Paypal withdrawals usually take 5 working days to clear !

Hi Guys. I have somebody wanting to pay a deposit for my son's bike into my paypal account. Am I ok to do this without him being able to claim anything back off me if he changes his mind or something daft? It's a private sale but he just wants to make sure we get the deposit without having to come to the house.

Nic

I deal with about 100 papal transactions a week. As mentioned above, the buyer can get the money back via paypal if he raises a dispute. If he doesn't want to come to your house then get him to send a cheque or use a bank transfer.

Also paypal will charge you 4% of the money recieved into your account.

:)

As the others have said, PayPal isnt the best for larger transactions. Get a bankers draft or cheque and wait for it to clear. I only use PP for small transactions as you cant afford for them to raise a dispute and your money to be gone!

this guy wanted a way of leaving a deposit so I would take the bike off ebay so it wasn't the bulk of the payment. I've now told him to take the cash to a branch of my bank and pay it in there instead. Cheers for the advice.

Take Paypal payment as a deposit , but dont release the bike until you have removed the funds from the Paypal as the buyer can put a query in and Paypal will hold the funds until the query is settled..Paypal withdrawals usually take 5 working days to clear !

Just a quick addition to what Lomoto said.

It doesn`t matter if you remove the funds or not, Paypal can still deduct funds and leave you with a negative balance if there is a query from the buyer. It can be pretty dangerous dealing with Paypal these days. This has happened to me a couple of times, just because the buyer changes his mind and decides he wants his money back, although Paypal will usually ask for the goods to be returned.

Just a quick addition to what Lomoto said.

It doesn`t matter if you remove the funds or not, Paypal can still deduct funds and leave you with a negative balance if there is a query from the buyer. It can be pretty dangerous dealing with Paypal these days. This has happened to me a couple of times, just because the buyer changes his mind and decides he wants his money back, although Paypal will usually ask for the goods to be returned.

+1 - hence my warning about only using PP for amounts you can afford to lose. Theres no gaurentee that they wont just deduct if from your account :angry: