Stockholm

ab350z

I've been to Stockholm loads of times - love the place. Its such a beautiful city with something for everyone. Could recommend specific places to stay but the city is so compact and easy to get around that as long as you are in and around the city centre somewhere you'll be fine.

Wouldnt have recommended it for a lads holiday though - they seem a bit more sensible than us when it comes to drink and it'll be pretty damn cold by then - plus drink is very expensive!

Still if its booked i'm sure you'll still have a cracking time! :teeth:

Got it booked and got a fairly central hotel. Ryanair were giving away flights, got a return from Edinburgh for £40. Staying here http://www.scandichotels.com/en/Hotels/Countries/Sweden/Stockholm/Hotels/Scandic-Malmen/?redirected=true which looks good enough and same price for a twin as a Travelodge here in Aberdeen. Have heard drink is quite expensive so we're well prepared for the bills!! £7 a beer!

Mate I was working for Ericsson in Stockholm for the last 6 months (back in the UK now). Their underground has the best system in the world!!! The people are the friendliest in the world! The beer is expensive but is worth it for what entertainment you get !!! Places to go are Sturebadet, ostermalmsborg, Slussen & the old town! Try O'Connells in the old town for reasonable priced beer & excellent fish & chips. Beer is about £5 each, whiskey & coke about £8!

Had a look at your hotel it's in a good tourist place right by the underground - PLEASE use them they are fantastic!!!

Be warned that I think if your flying with Ryanair then you are flying to Skavsta (which is a 90min bus transfer away from Stockholm and if I recall is £25 each for the return - DO NOT GET A TAXI - it's £125 each way!!!)

If you need any more pm ok :)

Cheers, we were gonna use the train from Norkoping which is near the airport and get in that way. Used those Ryanair coaches before and its not pleasant. Also been stung by the £100 taxi one New Year in Barcelona to Girona airport.

Your not the 1st to say the subway is excellent so we'll def be using it or the old feet.

Any idea how well received 4 20something lads in kilts will be at pubs and clubs?! :teeth:

tbh mate I don't think kilts will go down well. The swedes are a bit reserved, I never saw any fancy dress while over there. I would take the kilts with you and see what the weather is like as well!

The door men can be very particular as well, if your just going to standard bars then maybe ok, if your going to the winebars then NO CHANCE guaranteed!

Think of Sweden nightlife as dress to impress - have a look at www.finest.se B)

3593.443.295.jpg

3594.443.295.jpg

Note what they are wearing as well - probably about 8degress there at the moment, Ahhh, it takes me back!

I'd honestly recommend going for the coach option from Skavsta - thats what i go for each time i travel there. You are practically straight off the plane, onto the bus and then on your way to Stockholm city centre. Its run by Flygbussarna and should cost you under £20 for a return. You could then walk to your hotel from the centre of town or hop on the underground (the train/underground station is across the road from the bus station). Saves you the hassle of lugging your stuff to the train station, waiting on a train, hopping on, watching for your stop etc.

You are staying in Sodermalm area which was seen as being trendy & arty a few years back - not sure what its like now. Normalm and Ostermalm area are where i ended up spending most time - main area for shops, resteraunts, bars, etc - approx 15-20 mins walk from where you are.

Sorry fella's not meant to be offensive ;) I was comparing dress code which stands out i.e. fancy dress and never saw it in Stockholm..........

Digs self out of deep hole... :thumbs: Anyway, I spent the time writing up my review so I hope that makes up for it !

Personally, just go with your best gear you'll have a flippin great time....everybody speaks english you'll be GOBSMACKED!

Ok here's the extract from my Swedish friends email:-

"I think it wouldn't be a problem.... Methinks sobriety might be more of an issue!!! *big grin* And they might get cold!!! Ha ha ha..."

So, balls in your court...