Advice Please From Former RX8 Owners

greido

Guys,

I know this is a 350Z forum but I know a number of you have owned RX8s before and I've never heard a bad word about these cars (except for fuel economy) so I thought I'd ask for your experiences and thoughts.

I'm looking for some information please; my girlfriend is a Social Worker and needs back seats and covers a relatively high mileage (approx 18,000 pa), we were looking at changing her trusty Civic Sport with something pretty frugal (ie Audi A3 TDi or BMW 1 Series Diesel), after looking at the price of these compared with a Mazda RX8 of the same age (we're looking at around 2 years old) they cost a fair bit more to buy. What has occurred to me is; why not buy an RX8 and install LPG? - Do any of you former RX8 owners know of any good sources of info on the RX8 on LPG?

Does anyone else have any experiences with this and know of any installation and running costs?

Many thanks,

G

Can you even install LPG on a rotary? Genuine question, I've no idea.

The worst thing about the RX-8 is that, if you turn the engine off within a short time of starting it (think "Oh @*!#, I've left the oven on, better go turn it off quickly"), you'll flood the engine which then requires a trip to the dealer. I was chatting to an ex-RX owner the other week at Woodbridge as I've got a soft spot for the 8 as well, and he said that it was a nightmare as you don't realise how often you actually do it: Moving the car off the drive, in/out of a garage etc.

I'd have thought that the cost of an RX-8 + LPG conversion = more than a decent diesel anyway. Personally I'd be after a Fabia vRS myself, or an E46 diesel.

I could'nt not answer this thread as I loved mine - :D

But yes they are a pain you cant just move it and switch off (sod if your in a hurry!)

Yes they are thirsty although not that much more than the Zed.

No its all b****ls when people tell you they drink oil - they dont !! :boxing:

Build quality was superb :thumbs:

Yes they are really cheap now and you do get a lot for your money and surprisingly practical - I understand about you wanting an LPG conversion, a lot of boxters with the conversion however I would not go for an LPG conversion - I love that engine but I dont think its quite ready for LPG - well not that I know off but at least from a warranty point I would'nt .

- if she is doing 18K p/a (ha that all!) then diesel is the best option (says he with his Zed and 35K plus p/a!) :blush:

Go for a Mazda 3 or Mazda 6 TDI subject to how big a car you need - but long trips your better off in a bigger car - soaks up the mileage .

More info is the owners club they are pretty good:

www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk

Good luck with it - I know the Rex is tempting and I still regret parting with mine but think with head not heart oh and they are the same Tax band - £400+ remember to factor that in the equation?

Let us knwo how you get on? :)