you zed owners, have you driven a z4?

p1tse

Z4's are for hairdressers :winkiss:

The Z4 M is a different story though, i think the coupes look fantastic!

agreed, the Z4M is a complete different story, so i still stick to my opinion on the normal Z4.

reading the long post above makes me really want to drive a Z4M now.

on the coupe front, i still cant figure it out. some days they look fantastic and some days i'm not sure

FYI the Coupe has different final drive ratio to the Roadster.

I have no idea why BMW did this, but anyway, the net result is the Coupe runs shorter gearing, so therefore accelerates quicker but is heavier on fuel.

For me it has to be the Roadster, can't beat the feeling of blasting down country lanes with the roof off listening to the rasp from the exhaust or the 400 watt Hi Fi.

FYI the Coupe has different final drive ratio to the Roadster.

I have no idea why BMW did this, but anyway, the net result is the Coupe runs shorter gearing, so therefore accelerates quicker but is heavier on fuel.

For me it has to be the Roadster, can't beat the feeling of blasting down country lanes with the roof off listening to the rasp from the exhaust or the 400 watt Hi Fi.

I didnt know you cut hair too Dan? ;)

Hi..

I am a newbie here but i ran a 2006 z4m coupe from new for 2 years but had to change cars due to a job change + the BMW select 2yr was up and at that price for return i had there was no way i was going to keep it. so about a month ago I got myself an 07 coupe in gt spec with 5k miles which i am very pleased with.. i love 2 seat 6cyl rwd coupes so getting the 350 was a no brainer.. i tried an alfa brera 3.2q4 as well but it felt slow + i don't trust alfa's ....

In comparison to the z4m coupe i would say -

Z4mcoupe is much faster accross all rev ranges .. the gearing in the z4m was longer through the top of 3rd gear 100+ .. speed wise it was especially rapid up to 100 and at the top end the z4m keeps going whereas the 350 seems to run out of steam...

Handling wise the z4m was sharper and had a lot more mechanical grip than the 350z especially in the wet... but if you got it wrong it was a proper handful to get straight.. it loved understeer with the stock ex factory continental tyres..

Brakes - the z4m had really very good brakes almost impossible to get them to fade in normal use and that self drying isn't a gizzmo.. the brakes were always spot on in even in torrential rain. The 350z brembo's are really very good but seem to need more pedal force .. still stops realy well.

Suspension is more relaxed in the 350, it rides bad roads better and you don't feel as battered and bruised when you have had a long bumpy drive... the z4m wants to skip you all over the road on an uneven surface and any bumps are trying to smash your spine....

Fuel economy on the z4m gave me 24.9 over 26k miles .. i am getting 25.1 from the z so not much difference there...

Insurance.. hmmmm... 990 for the z4m, 527 for the 350z.. bargain

Repair bills... first z4m service was 175, second z4m service + brake fluid change was.. are you sat down..... 778... from what i see on here the 350Z is much cheeaper to maintian !

Tyre wear on the mcoupe was a problem.. i got through two sets of tyres in two years at 1000 a set.. so pretty nasty really.. not sure what the tyres will cost me for the 350z but they are not z rated so must be cheaper.

Interior quality.. neither car is made of the best materials .. both rattle.. the 350 is more comfortable but you seemed to be part of the z4m, the ergonomics of armrests, seat position and the height + reach adjustable steering meant it was easy to get a very good driving position.

depreciation... hmm.. bad on the z4m if you bought it.. good if you were an early adopter of the car with the BMW select agreement.. woudl i get another on select.. no .. they have worked out the depreciation now and the monthly prices have gone up...

Carrying anything in the boot of the 350z is not so good.. the z4m was better but again compromised.

Everyday use i think the 350z no hesitation.... on the right day with the right road the z4mcoupe ... financial sanity the 350z... ability to keep your licence the 350z.. rarity value the z4mcoupe but not by much... on the looks front both are pretty ugly in their own ways which makes them attractive... if you get what i mean...

Practicality.. the z4mcoupe... i could de-activate the passenger airbags and carry one of my kids... i can't do that in the 350 whcih will be a problem...

I also drove a specced up z4 3.0s coupe and i have to say it was a better day to day drive than the mcoupe, very rapid and better suspension.. the fact i bought a 350z speaks a lot though as i could have got a 30.s coupe for a couple of grand more but didn't... also the coupe over the roadster every day.. i drove a z4m roadster and preferred the handling of the coupe...

for the money the 350z is a bargain...

Hi..

I am a newbie here but i ran a 2006 z4m coupe from new for 2 years but had to change cars due to a job change + the BMW select 2yr was up and at that price for return i had there was no way i was going to keep it. so about a month ago I got myself an 07 coupe in gt spec with 5k miles which i am very pleased with.. i love 2 seat 6cyl rwd coupes so getting the 350 was a no brainer.. i tried an alfa brera 3.2q4 as well but it felt slow + i don't trust alfa's ....

Z4mcoupe is much faster accross all rev ranges .. the gearing in the z4m was longer through the top of 3rd gear 100+ .. speed wise it was especially rapid up to 100 and at the top end the z4m keeps going whereas the 350 seems to run out of steam...

Handling wise the z4m was sharper and had a lot more mechanical grip than the 350z especially in the wet... but if you got it wrong it was a proper handful to get straight.. it loved understeer with the stock ex factory continental tyres..

Brakes - the z4m had really very good brakes almost impossible to get them to fade in normal use and that self drying isn't a gizzmo.. the brakes were always spot on in even in torrential rain. The 350z brembo's are really very good but seem to need more pedal force .. still stops realy well.

Suspension is more relaxed in the 350, it rides bad roads better and you don't feel as battered and bruised when you have had a long bumpy drive... the z4m wants to skip you all over the road on an uneven surface and any bumps are trying to smash your spine....

Fuel economy on the z4m gave me 24.9 over 26k miles .. i am getting 25.1 from the z so not much difference there...

Repair bills... first z4m service was 175, second z4m service + brake fluid change was.. are you sat down..... 778... from what i see on here the 350Z is much cheeaper to maintian !

Tyre wear on the mcoupe was a problem.. i got through two sets of tyres in two years at 1000 a set.. so pretty nasty really.. not sure what the tyres will cost me for the 350z but they are not z rated so must be cheaper.

Interior quality.. neither car is made of the best materials .. both rattle.. the 350 is more comfortable but you seemed to be part of the z4m, the ergonomics of armrests, seat position and the height + reach adjustable steering meant it was easy to get a very good driving position.

depreciation... hmm.. bad on the z4m if you bought it.. good if you were an early adopter of the car with the BMW select agreement.. woudl i get another on select.. no .. they have worked out the depreciation now and the monthly prices have gone up...

Carrying anything in the boot of the 350z is not so good.. the z4m was better but again compromised.

Everyday use i think the 350z no hesitation.... on the right day with the right road the z4mcoupe ... financial sanity the 350z... ability to keep your licence the 350z.. rarity value the z4mcoupe but not by much... on the looks front both are pretty ugly in their own ways which makes them attractive... if you get what i mean...

Practicality.. the z4mcoupe... i could de-activate the passenger airbags and carry one of my kids... i can't do that in the 350 whcih will be a problem...

I also drove a specced up z4 3.0s coupe and i have to say it was a better day to day drive than the mcoupe, very rapid and better suspension.. the fact i bought a 350z speaks a lot though as i could have got a 30.s coupe for a couple of grand more but didn't... also the coupe over the roadster every day.. i drove a z4m roadster and preferred the handling of the coupe...

All very true I'm sure, but when new the z4m costs at least £10k more............ ;)

Hi..

Definitely agree that the standard 3.0 Z4 ( or a 350z ) is a better day to day car, and I understand exactly what you mean about "the right day, the right road" the Z4M was awesome. For a standard road going car it was very focused. In fact BMW admit it is the most focused road car they have ever made.

And as for suspension, I didn't think my car had any :lol:

Must admit I am amazed you criticise the car for understeer though. Never once did I experience that in my car, it was always the tail that let go first and as you say the grip was very high so you knew full well when you were taking liberties and it was going to let go...

All very true I'm sure, but when new the z4m costs at least £10k more............ ;)

Very true, and to be fair this is why I said the M wasn't a fair comparison. The 3.0 is a more direct competitor to the 350z and if I'm honest the 3.0 litre would suit more people more of the time. If someone was doing a lot of miles day to day I would suggest they might find the M hard work.

Anyway stop it now, you're making me want another...