Woodbridge track day report

Ekona

Just thought I'd pop this up here, having been there today for a track day.

Never been to Woodbridge before or done a day with Javelin (the TDO) either, so was a little unsure of what to expect. The airfield is within a still-in-use RAF base about 10 mins outside of Ipswich, but isn't particularly near anything else to annoy anyone, which is good. The surface is quite abrasive (not quite Elvington, but you get the idea) so is hard on tyres and the level of the ground fluctuates a fair bit too, and there's on particular part that if you follow the racing line, you'll be sent up in the air a tad, so I simply backed off a smidge and took it where it was flatter. It's arguably quicker that way, too.

The track layout was all cones as you'd expect, but was well done and there was never any doubt as to where you'd go next. At 2 miles long it's not exactly a short track, but that does mean that you don't need a whole lap as a cooldown one, half is sufficient. At first it seems a bit basic, and certainly the first half of the circuit is quite fast and open (perfect for going sideways B)) but the back end of the track is surprisingly technical, and I never managed to get the line perfect on two consecutive laps (indeed, I never got the last corner right at all!).

Given that this was my first track day in the Zed, and my first in a FR car (all my 10+ others have been in mid-engined cars), and my first few laps were bloody awful as I simply couldn't get any kind of rhythm going with the car at all, I decided to treat myself to 20 mins of tuition. I've never had tuition before, preferring to learn things my own way, but I was so messy I really did need it. The ARDS instructor there was a nice old boy called John, and I have to say I was very impressed with him. Very supportive, very methodical in his teaching but without being patronising, and he improved my driving no end. Well worth doing if you feel unsure at all, and it won't put me off getting instruction again, either at Woodbridge with Javelin or elsewhere. All the Javelin staff were really friendly and courteous, and very laid back too which made for a really relaxing yet fun day. I'd say they were probably the best TDO I've ever been with, which is praise indeed seeing as I think I've been with most of them now! :lol:

So what about the Zed? Well, she did us both proud in a wobbly amateurish way! :D I was never in any danger of breaking any lap records but it was surprising just how well she held up. I left the TC on for the morning and the first half of the afternoon as I was a bit concerned about tyre wear, but had it fully off for the last run out and, despite the power available and shifting the weight as much as I dared and not being on exactly great tyres (RE040s), it proved a challenge to get the arse to step out at all: There's an immense amount of mechanical grip there, and the chassis is always working with you. I can imagine the coupe would be much more solid and a real handful for most otehr cars this side of an Elise. Oh, and with the bungs in the ESR exhaust I measured 85 dB and 98dB without but with spikes of up to 105dB when I lifted, so for that reason I left them in all day as the limit at Woodbridge is 102dB. On better tyres and a better surface, I honestly think Slagathor will be seriously impressive at Anglesey which I do next month.

Well worth the £120 it cost me, and I'll definitely go back.

Everyone starts someone matey, and I can guarantee that there won't be a track day you could go to where you'd be the only newbie there. Promise.

An airfield day is the way to go, loads of run off and nothing to hit. Elvington in York was my first one, and it's definitely a place I'd recommend for those just starting out. Keevil's really nice too, but that's a bit further from you. Everyone should do one at least once, as it's simply what performance cars are made for these days seeing as how even looking at 71mph on the speedo is probably classed as an offence.

Do it, and you could get awesome shots like this too:

woodbridge1.jpg

woodbridge2.jpg

£20 for a CD full of them from the photographer guy that was there today.

There's a still a few places left at Anglesey via BookaTrack for the 25th of October if you guys are interested. I'll be there along with a load of mates from MR2-ROC, and there's a couple of them who have never tracked before. 12m wide track with a beautiful surface so best of both worlds really.

Bedford's okay but a bit featureless, and the 3 or 4 consecutive hairpins near the end get very tiresome very quickly. They're also strict as buggery on noise there now, and I'd expect anything other than a stock exhaust to fail the drive-by tests easily.

Tbh I don't mind travelling for track days at all, makes it more fun if you can make a weekend of it with a few mates.

If anyone knows of any good airfield days coming up i would definatly be interested in meeting up if any other guys wanna go. Wouldnt mind somewhere with a bit a tuition available. Maybe midlands or below, may stuggle to make a whole weekend of it so would have to make it back the same day.

Maybe a silly question, after a first time on track, is it likely to need new tyres or pads, just something i would need to factor in. New front tyres and rears have been on for about 6k. Also does anyone bother with paying the premium for trackday insurance? Not intending on driving mad, just wondered what the consensus really.

If you have got a good bit of life left in your tyres and brake pads and you don't intend to push too hard, then it should be fine. Track day insurance is one of those things that you hopefully rarely need but when it goes wrong, its an absolute God-send. If you are intending to take it fairy easy and with airfiels tracks having plenty of run-off areas, you could save by not having it. At the end of the day though its your call.

I had about 4mm on my rears before yesterday and I've only taken about 1.5mm off that, and that was on an abrasive surface and on purpose. You could easy waste a brand new set of T1-Rs if you spent all day going sideways, but you could also not even notice the wear on the same tyres if you're nice and tidy. Pads should always be checked before tracking anyway and unless you're silly low you'll be fine.

I've never bothered with track insurance as I've never seen a car to car accident on track, and I always stay within my own limits so I trust myself not to have a car to scenery incident. That said, I'm aware of the risk I take and it is a risk, but considering most single day track insurance quotes are about £200-£300 with an excess of £5K, you've really got to be driving like an arse to do £5Ks worth of damage to your car. If you can get it included on your regular insurance then that's worth having, otherwise I'd say it's not worth it. Each to their own, though.