Camp Sites in the Highlands

Dan

My small ginger Boy has been pestering me all through the Summer Holidays to take him for a blast in the 350z Roadster, so I have decided to set off on Monday and head for the Highlands for a couple of days. I'm planning to return home on Wednesday night, so want to find two camp sites ( with showers ) for Monday and Tuesday nights, ideally with a nice days driving in between.

Anyone been around the Highlands and can recommend anywhere for me ?

Thanks Lads and Lasses.

Dan

Cheers Stew, didn't read your post till just now but ended up going through Gairloch on day two and camped at Aldmair just outside Ullapool.

Absolutely loved it as did my 9 year old Son - except for the persistent rain and the tent letting water in !

The roads were fantastic, I have never enjoyed such prolonged hooning.

Over the three days I covered just under 1000 miles, at 27.5 miles per gallon. My average speed for the 3 days was 63 mph. I was disappoined with that because at the end of my first day my average speed was 77mph and I had covered about 180 miles OFF the motorway.

I overtook every thing I encountered and didn't get overtaken once in the whole trip.

Tearing through Glen Coe at 100 was exciting, and catching up to 4 foreign bikers who eventually pulled to the side and waved me past was also quite good fun :-)

350z are superb cars although I did miss the extra power of the Z4M. I really regret not doing this same trip in that car, although the tent would not have fitted in it's boot !

Absolutely loved it, Scotland is a petrol heads heaven - it's like our very own Nurburgring but bigger and with more aggressive midges :thumbs:

LOL

It really is driving heaven, everywhere seems to be miles away from everywhere else with superb, mostly empty roads in between. You get everything from wide open straights to twisty little sections all accompanied by breathtaking scenery and most of all the other road users are well used to being overtaken and drive very considerately - there are even road signs saying "allow overtaking".

It may sound irresponsible but it's perfectly feasable to have 80 or 90 ( or more ) on the clock most of the time, and it's perfectly safe because the roads are so empty and open. You just can't do that in England because of the traffic. I have never enjoyed such prolonged high speed uninterupted mile after mile hooning.

Once away from the major towns you very nearly have the roads to yourself - especially if you head way up north. On my recent John O' Groats trip I drove right across the top of the country for a few hours without seeing a soul.

I did struggle getting Super Unleaded and had to run one tank of normal Premium Unleaded but I'm sure with a bit of forward planning it wouldn't be too hard to find out where you can get Super.

It really is fantastic and myself and my son really enjoyed it.

We even went up a mountain, although not recommended after a few stellas it did seem like a good idea at the time. 3 hours later when I reached the top and was admiring the breathtaking view I suddenly sobered up at the thought of having to get back down...

Maybe best to stick to the black top :D