RX 8 buying

Stew

from what i read they seem to be fun cars.

i had a celica 190 for 4 years so know what it's like at 8k rpm and no torque.

good character car, but tiredsome when pushing on. however i do miss is, but that might be becuase of the looks and kit i had on it.

audi tt remaped to 265-270bhp. torque figures to match.

quick pick up and power from turbo, quattro grips.

even with this average mpg is 30.

but reading rx8 you get only about 200 miles from a tank is a bit too hardcore.

hence the thought on the 350z's, until i read this post with positive views on rx8.

Nice but...

A bit thirsty, Oil and petrol.. they do get better with the oil after about 10k miles

No torque... a proper rev monster... But Shift warning drives you mad.

Flooding issues

Starting issues especially in winter

Dipstick gets covered in white emulsion making you think the head gasket has gone.... but its o.k but the dipsticks corrode.

They are 10 a penny.

They do handle really well and build quality is good.

I dont like the black and red interior (tacky)

I do love the proper rear seats and suicide doors. plus the rotary badging scattered about

Just me 2p's worth.. :D

thanks for the info.

can you explain about the flooding issues?

my other previous car, celica 190 had less torque i think.

had a look at one today for the first time, all round quite nice. rear seats are handy.

it's similar to the s2000, with the floor plan coming up at drivers side, but not as bad.

also had a look at early 350z today, the tt, zed, rx8 completely all different cars

• 4 weeks later...
thanks for the info.

can you explain about the flooding issues?

my other previous car, celica 190 had less torque i think.

had a look at one today for the first time, all round quite nice. rear seats are handy.

it's similar to the s2000, with the floor plan coming up at drivers side, but not as bad.

also had a look at early 350z today, the tt, zed, rx8 completely all different cars

As far as flooding goes there's a major "no no" with the 8. Do not start it up and then shut it off. The engine has to get up to normal operating temperature before you shut it off or the plugs get soaked in petrol and it won't start. I had a 8 for 4 years and never had any issues with it.

Also, fuel mileage is poor. The very best I ever got on the highway was 19 mpg. I usually got around 13 in town. :headhurt:

It never flooded on me once - I just did as I mentioned earlier - wait a few mins - thats it

They are 10 a penny on the forecourts as are Zeds? Its just down to roadtax being £400+ etc, they hardly use oil (I seem to keep hammering this point in all my RX8 threads) but there is still this stupid myth that they do drink oil and that the Rotary engine is pants and will last 5 mins - its all scaremongering!

That engine is a peach and should really go in the MX5 :thumbs: Sorry step off my Rant stool there :blush:

Bottom line its a very well made car - decent paint and alloys really practical but yes it can be quite thirsty because you do need to rev it a lot to get the fun factor - it handles like on rails - decent boot and the suicide doors are a great idea. Unlike the Zed the interior plastics dont scratch as easily and are well screwed in. The Bose unit is the best stereo I ever had in a car (or house for that matter!)

I had my black one with the red/black interior - I loved it as it was different and brightened up the interior, but we all like different things. ;)

Before you ask I got rid because you cant fit a dog in there (on shiny new leather seats) as well as a cement mixer and bags of sand etc? Well you can but I aint gonna wreck a car like that :surrender:

Good luck with your search - try one out and see how you feel - not for long distance driving as costly on petrol but great long distance cruisers though? :)