Ticking Noise from Speedo Housing.

chuds1

Hi All

I was wondering if anyone has come across this problem before.

I have a very annoying noise coming from my speedo cluster. It sounds like a relay ticking on and off quickly when the rev's are between 2500rpm and 3500rpm, only happens at that rpm. It sounds like it is coming from right behind the Rev Counter.

It is driving me insane, :bang: any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

I have a very annoying noise coming from my speedo cluster. It sounds like a relay ticking on and off quickly when the rev's are between 2500rpm and 3500rpm, only happens at that rpm. It sounds like it is coming from right behind the Rev Counter.

Sounds very, very similar to something my Zed was doing ages back. It turned out to be it needed a bit more of the padding between the window and the plastic. As you accelerate the vibration increases about there, didn't do it below or above that range. Check that out anyway, make sure the packing hasn't moved.

Guest prescience

Do you have a JDM whereby someone might've needed to access the rear of the speedo? Could be as simple as a loose screw :thumbs:

It ain't gonna affect the car though is it - so windows down, head back and enjoy :teeth:

The ticking and everything you describe sounds so similar. On my Zed the packing between the window and dash had moved slightly and was always a bit of the sparse side, this produced a kind of ticking, sparking sound, thankfully it wasn't, was a simple as a bit more packing. Hasn't done it again in the last year and a half. Presuming you'd be able to buy the packing from your local dealer.

Anyway, whatever it is, let us know how you get on. I could be wrong. ;)

ps. Is your Z still under warranty?? If so get the dealer to have a look next time you're in.

Thanks for all your comments.

Prescience no JDM fitted, the clocks have never been moved.

I can sit in the car and rev it too 3000rpm thats roughly when the LOUD clicking starts. The clicking speeds up as the revs rise. When the revs reach 3500rpm it vanishes like magic.

It does exactly the same while driving.

Its not a creeking noise its a loud relay clicking on and off.

NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :scare:

• 2 weeks later...

Chuds I have something similar but seems to have gone away for the minute, if I pushed real hard on the steering wheel it went away which seemed to me that it was something loose in behind that.

Try and push the steering wheel real hard when it is doing it and see if that stops the noise.

Only a thought.

• 1 month later...

Greatings chuds1,

I performed a Google search for "350Z + clicking noise + 3500 rpm" and your post emerged.

I have '08 Nismo (#0778) that just turned over 4000mi. The solenoid clicking sound you describe from the left side of the dash is happening on my Z too. I thought it was related to the rev limiter I had set @ 4000 rpm's, but after resetting it to my tach red line, 7500 rpm's, the clicking noise continues to start at 3500-3800 rpm's and increases in speed the further I increase RMP's in each gear. I have an appt. next week with the local dealer to get the service rep to ride with me to try and debug the problem. You and one other person on the 350TECH.com forum have posted similar symptoms.

As soon as I find out the problem I will provide information back to you.

Regards,

EatMyDuZt

• 2 weeks later...

Hi GIXXERUK,

Yes I will post some picks soon as the world slows down, if you get my drift!

Hi chuds1,

I just wanted to follow up on the clicking noise from the dash. Took mine into the local Nissan stealership yesterday, one of the mechanics road with me, but before I even left the lot he had already diagnosed the problem from my description of the noise. He said he had another Z in with a similar issue. So instead of getting out on the road, I just sat there on the lot and rev'd the engine to > 3500 and the noise occurred. "Yep, he said, heater core needs back flushing". He then went on to explain that the noise is caused by a valve flapping and back flushing the heater core resolves the problem. Luckily mine is still under warranty so it didn't cost me anything, but everything is back to normal. I would have never expected that a noise such as that would be caused by the heater core. It sounded electrical to me!

Good luck on the resolution, keep us informed!

EMDuZt

• 1 month later...

Hi eatmyduZt

Fantastic you've cracked it. :yahoo:

Sorry for the late reply, been working away from home for the past 2 months so no internet access. :thumbdown:

My Z is still suffering from the same problem. As soon as i get a chance i'll have the heater core back flushed. I'll need to get it booked into the dealer to have the hammer removed from the dashboard....... :lol:

Thanks agian for your help, SUPERB

Chuds1