Headunit / LCD in Cubbyhole

Vertakill

I've read through a few different threads but a lot are aimed at putting the LCD in the double din radio area. I want to know if there's any head units designed for having an LCD fitted into a cubbyhole like on the Z, or if there's an DIY way around it that someone has tried?

Reason being, I was thinking about getting the DDX-5022 but I dunno if I'd like the screen to be so low down, compared to having one installed in the cubbyhole.

Also, I read about people having problems with the sound quality due to their current BOSE systems - I have just the standard sound setup from the base Z, so would there be any problems for me?

I have my double din head unit positioned where the old stereo unit was fitted. There is no problem with the height of the screen/viewing angle with it here. My satnav is clearly readable, and access to functions very easy. In fact when you're sat in the driver's seat, you're quite low down anyway so visibility really isn't an issue. I couldn't be more pleased with the unit here. I hope this helps.

You will really struggle to fit a double din unit in the cubby as there isn't enough room at the back and there is no way to enlarge it. You could fit a standard screen in there though, should take a 7" screen

You will really struggle to fit a double din unit in the cubby as there isn't enough room at the back and there is no way to enlarge it. You could fit a standard screen in there though, should take a 7" screen

+1 - I have a 7" touchscreen in my cubby and I dont think you'd get a full HU in there without some serious modding! Everyone I've spoken to with a double din Nav HU in the original HU position was happy with it, so I'd go with that :thumbs:

Cheers for the replies guys, and I will look into the standard double din installation seeing as Drexyl has good things to say about it.

However, I don't think I explained myself too well initially. Most HU's I'm seeing seem to be double din and installed where existing stereo is. What I was looking for was something that would enable me to fit the screen in the cubbyhole and then put the stereo in it's normal slot.

Or am I just being stupid and should I just go ahead with the standard setup?

I just kind of like the idea of the cubbyhole being used as a screen and having the radio etc down below.

You can fit a kenwood screen in the top cubby and then fit the sat nav unit in one of the rear cubbys and then keep the stock stereo or upgrade that to a single or double din unit.

Or you can put in a DNX7200 kenwood unit and then put another kenwood screen above it giving you a 2 screen solution!..... :D

There are a few details on some of the sites for doing a DIY fix or you can get the nissan bracket.... Have you got the lid that retracts or the one that just goes up?

Hehe, sounds expensive 3Fiddy :p

I've unfortunately got the shitty one that 'just goes up' (some of the time..).

Thanks for the info though. I badly need a new HU though. I'm awful with directions and would love something with SatNav. Would love DVD playback as I had that in last car and really miss it.

My current radio is so bad, only plays audio CD's and it's a jap one and I havent bothered getting a FM expander so I get bad reception and not even all the channels because I dont have the expander.

I'm seeing the 7200 and the 5022 thrown about. Price is about 200+ pound difference though. Any recommendations?