Hideous weather in NZ, not so lovely today, lol!!

bronzee

Well we've had a perfectly still, sunny, cloudless day yesterday, even cleaned the Z, but that was the calm before the storm. Another massive Tropical Low Depression front made landfall here about 4am NZ time, 200km wind gusts and storm surges of 10-11 metres, that's HUGE are predicted!! Lol, I hope we don't get washed away. Already lost one 80ft+ tree this week, with the low that finished on Thursday.

The power is still on, hopefully it will stay that way. Lol. The eye, eek, it's been upgraded is supposed to hit the top of the North Island of NZ about midnight NZ time (lunchtime UK time), and head down the country (I'm only a few hundred kms from top), it's already raining torrentially, wind is up around 150kms already, and still predicting 200kms winds.

They're saying it's going to break all previous weather records. Not cool.

For those that are interested, don't think it's 100% up to date.

http://tvnz.co.nz/cda/tvnz/weather_index_skin

What's with the crazy weather on this planet, and no it's not global warming?! Lol, that's absolute rubbish. ;)

What's happening over there?? Sunshine and roses today??

Sounds terrible Immy, keep your head down. Been through a few of these things at sea but at leat we can avoid the worst of them, certain quadrants that you really dont want to be in. The eye is the worst place of all on a boat, terrible confused seas.

Good to know that although our weather is less than impressive its pretty benign.

Take care, will watch with interest.

Sounds terrible Immy, keep your head down. Been through a few of these things at sea but at least we can avoid the worst of them, certain quadrants that you really don't want to be in. The eye is the worst place of all on a boat, terrible confused seas.

Good to know that although our weather is less than impressive its pretty benign.

Lol, inside warm dry house is best place to be. Ventured very quickly to the shops, crazy busy, everyone else had the same idea, even though the roads are flooding, rain is super heavy. Never that busy so early.

I should imagine it would be absolutely crazy at sea in this sort of weather a bit like the "Perfect Storm". We had one of those a few weeks back. I sense some tug master stories coming on. :p

I'd even settle for UK Summer weather today. :lol::p

Could tell you many stories but its pretty scary. Got caught out in a small tug off Indonesia a couple of years ago. Lost an engine and struggled for a couple of days. Even came across a barge adrift and couldnt be bothered to salvage it.

Can see that storm surge causing absolute havoc, had one of 2m here earlier this year and the capital nearly sank.

Hope you managed to get the car somewhere safe. Trust the shopping included something to take your mind off the weather. Hope the power stays on anyway.

Could tell you many stories but its pretty scary. Got caught out in a small tug off Indonesia a couple of years ago. Lost an engine and struggled for a couple of days. Even came across a barge adrift and couldn't be bothered to salvage it.

Can see that storm surge causing absolute havoc, had one of 2m here earlier this year and the capital nearly sank.

Hope the power stays on anyway.

Oh, Uncle Mart tell us stories!!! This sounds interesting!!!

They've just announced that the wind is now up to hurricane force, so 160-167kms and above!! 1000 homes north of here without power, flooded homes, not cool.

Prefer to forget them.

http://www.hko.gov.hk/informtc/nature.htm

Was in a large cargo ship in the Bay of Biscay and stuggling to hold position. One of the cadets saw a flare, it was a yacht. The waves were about 20 to 30 metres yet the captain managed to put us alongside the yacht. Normally the deck was about 10 metres above the water but beam on we were rolling so heavily the crew grabbed the crew from the yacht as we rolled. Had to laugh when the owner came to the bridge and asked how we were going to get the yacht onboard.

Anyway, its a lovely night here and I have tankers to move in the morning.

Hang on in there Bronzee, some pics would be great but wait til it calms down a bit.

Was in a large cargo ship in the Bay of Biscay and stuggling to hold position. One of the cadets saw a flare, it was a yacht. The waves were about 20 to 30 metres yet the captain managed to put us alongside the yacht. Normally the deck was about 10 metres above the water but beam on we were rolling so heavily the crew grabbed the crew from the yacht as we rolled. Had to laugh when the owner came to the bridge and asked how we were going to get the yacht onboard.

Yikes!!

some pics would be great but wait til it calms down a bit.

Lol, I'm hoping no dramatic photos! :lol: The attached link is probably the worst Cyclone that's hit NZ thus far, Cyclone Bola in 1988. Massive damage everywhere.

http://christchurchcitylibraries.com/Ki ... neBola.asp

What's with the crazy weather on this planet

I hear its pretty windy on Jupiter but not been you sound very well travelled, do tell ;)

A few years ago we were removing some 70' pines and wind got up over night and one brought itself down right diagonally across a neighbours garden and shrubbery, luckily they were very good about it but his shrubs were about 12" tall after that.

Hope your stay on the planet is uneventful from a weather viewpoint, at least you weren't flying Qantas recently.

at least you weren't flying Qantas recently.

Had many long haul flights flying with Qantas, a great airline with a great reputation in having never lost a life or airframe unlike the world's favourite airline. :p

Looks like a long weekend.

AREA/S AFFECTED: NORTHLAND AUCKLAND COROMANDEL PENINSULA WAIKATO BAY OF PLENTY TAUPO GISBORNE WAITOMO TAUMARUNUI TARANAKI TAIHAPE WANGANUI MANAWATU WELLINGTON FORECAST:NORTHLAND Southwest gales are expected in exposed areas with severe gale gusts of 120 km/h through to about midday Sunday.

AUCKLAND Easterly gales are now easing. The wind should turn southwest overnight and rise to gale force in exposed areas by about 3am Sunday with gale force gusts of 110 km/h through to late afternoon.COROMANDEL PENINSULA AND WAIKATO, ESPECIALLY WEST OF THE KAIMAI RANGES Easterly winds are now easing. However, from 9pm to midnight Saturday severe gale gusts of 120km/h are possible in exposed places.

Looks like a long weekend.

AREA/S AFFECTED: NORTHLAND AUCKLAND COROMANDEL PENINSULA WAIKATO BAY OF PLENTY TAUPO GISBORNE WAITOMO TAUMARUNUI TARANAKI TAIHAPE WANGANUI MANAWATU WELLINGTON FORECAST:NORTHLAND Southwest gales are expected in exposed areas with severe gale gusts of 120 km/h through to about midday Sunday.

AUCKLAND Easterly gales are now easing. The wind should turn southwest overnight and rise to gale force in exposed areas by about 3am Sunday with gale force gusts of 110 km/h through to late afternoon.COROMANDEL PENINSULA AND WAIKATO, ESPECIALLY WEST OF THE KAIMAI RANGES Easterly winds are now easing. However, from 9pm to midnight Saturday severe gale gusts of 120km/h are possible in exposed places.

Now Martin will bring you the shipping forcast :lol:

:boat::boat::boat::boat::boat:

Thats mine so flame me if its wrong ;)Thames;

light winds, variable in direction with the possibility of convergence thunderstorms and isolated heavy showrs this evening and tonight. HOT B)

:lol:

Had many long haul flights flying with Qantas, a great airline with a great reputation in having never lost a life or airframe unlike the world's favourite airline. :p

Still more frightening doing a controlled depressurised decent 20,000 feet, when parts of the plane have just left the hull, than a storm when you are on the ground IMO. Sure you have had many good Qantas flights, there is a lot of concern with their currently policy of outsourcing a lot of functions and running old craft e.g.the one with the problem was 17 years old. There is a concern that Qantas repair things now that others would not to keep that reputation.

Cause of problem is unknown and speculation seems to be around 3 causes, either way crew did a great job and all were safe.

Still more frightening doing a controlled depressurised decent 20,000 feet, when parts of the plane have just left the hull, than a storm when you are on the ground IMO. Sure you have had many good Qantas flights, there is a lot of concern with their currently policy of outsourcing a lot of functions and running old craft e.g.the one with the problem was 17 years old. There is a concern that Qantas repair things now that others would not to keep that reputation.

Cause of problem is unknown and speculation seems to be around 3 causes, either way crew did a great job and all were safe.

You are right i first flew on this type (747-400) back in 92, they need the delayed Airbus A380 they have on order to start arriving soon to replace some of the older aircraft. I think they get the first soon.

The one i know they repaired landed long at Bangkok and ended up on the golf course, they repaired the hull to maintain their no lost hull's record.

Boeing need to get on and develop the 747-800........but not sure it will ever see the light of day.

But at the end of the day the 400 was and still is a fantastic aircraft. :thumbs:

You are right i first flew on this type (747-400) back in 92, they need the delayed Airbus A380 they have on order to start arriving soon to replace some of the older aircraft. I think they get the first soon.

The one i know they repaired landed long at Bangkok and ended up on the golf course, they repaired the hull to maintain their no lost hull's record.

Boeing need to get on and develop the 747-800........but not sure it will ever see the light of day.

But at the end of the day the 400 was and still is a fantastic aircraft. :thumbs:

Agree, possibly one of the last Tonka aircraft that Boeing built.

Some fantastic quotes by Pax on the recent incident e.g. "why would they put luggage next to a hole like that ", makes you wonder :wacko:

btw: a few cracks found on maint not under inspection requirements have been lucky. No problem with being lucky !!!!

Just hope your zed is safe Bronzee. ;)

I hope so too. :)

I hear its pretty windy on Jupiter but not been you sound very well travelled, do tell ;)

Look, one doesn't like to gloat. ;):p

Lol, what can you expect from an Aussie airline. :lol::p Probably a large number of people watching on with interest, to see what the cause was. Stupid reporters saying it was rust, silly's, that would be very interesting indeed, considering the metals used. :p

Thanks for the info Bronzee!! :scare:

My daughter is travelling north from Taupo towards Auckland over the next week or so.....

Hope you are well as long time no speak!! :thumbs:

Hey Rob, definitely! How are you?? Your daughter should be fine. Taupo being a bit more inland. Hopefully all these annoying "weather bombs" as the weather analysts dub them, have passed by then when she's heading up the country.

Although we are expecting yet another one to hit on Tuesday, so no reprieve, and it's still gusting 90-110kms today. Trees down all over the place, huge amounts of debri, big clean ups to do. Last night 50k homes without power, still a large number out today. Hope your daughter has power where she is.

I think the weather turned bad because the aussies just demolished the Blacks in rugby :yahoo::yahoo: hehe :blush:

Ahem, cough, cough, new Aussie coach, cough, cough, is a K1w1. :p:p