Ceramic brakes

hagar

I asked this on another forum but there wasnt much opinion (thats not slagging them off though!)

To make anything quicker you're best making it stop faster too :D

So with this in mind I'd been looking at a metal ceramic kit that fits the Skyline (correct me if I am wrong we have the same brembos and similar discs?)

As they are metal they should resist wearing fast, few friends with porsche have had complaints the breaks didnt fade but they wore stupidly quick

Anyone got any opinions on ceramic (metal mix) discs - of course using the ceramic matched pads?

The other question is really about whether its worth it, the brakes seem brilliant BUT I find I need to do a prime press first then the main press to get the best result (think I may have boiled the fluid on a recent track day instead of coming in I took a few extra laps...) Any recommendations on upgraded fluids and the red stuff pads?

I'm thinking about new disks too, but what you look for seems to me a bit over the top. Our Brembos are fine and if you upgrade disks to decent slotted ones, pads to better ones, fluid to 5.1 and SS brake lines, imo you'll be more than capable of running proper trackdays with no isses :)

Hagar,

I do not have them but from track experience....

There was a chap with a Porker GT3RS that had them standard fit, first thing he did was remove them and fitted normal. The reason, not much in performance gain but he said they woulf cost over £10k to replace, therefore not work the money. He would refit when selling the car. My adice would be spend your money on something else.

Steve

cheers

these cost much much much much less than the 10k quoted and are basically just a disc and pad replacement

the issue really is the bloody fluid boiling and I'm no track hero either!

anywhere recommended in the chippenham/bristol/southwest area that does the stainless lines and fluid?

Bob @ RJN motorsports did mine, fluid-disks-pad-brake line

They are really good and you can see some real sorted 350Z.

They were cheaper than getting it done at a dealership.

http://www.rjnmotorsport.com/

01235 868000

Ask him if he will do discount for 350z-uk members.....should be okay.

Very close to Williams F1 team at Grove so not too far.

Steve

Bob @ RJN motorsports did mine, fluid-disks-pad-brake line

They are really good and you can see some real sorted 350Z.

They were cheaper than getting it done at a dealership.

http://www.rjnmotorsport.com/

01235 868000

Ask him if he will do discount for 350z-uk members.....should be okay.

Very close to Williams F1 team at Grove so not too far.

Steve

With regards to the disc's which ones did you go for as I'm about to email them? I'm betting my standard ones are more than adequate (for me) so will prob just go for the pads, fluid and lines instead, if you dont mind me asking what did the cost come to?

Hagar,

Cannot rember the cost, but the disc was from the JP Bedford cars, they replaced OEM with others. You will be okay with OEM. They really only had deliverly milage but half the price of the dealer, I only needed them as I really did not change the pads soon enough.

Steve

Hagar - Had the Nismo exhaust fitted at the same time, the quote from RJN for the brakes was as follows:

S-tune pads for Brembo front £150.90

S-tune pads for Brembo rear £137.18

Brake Hoses £204.40

Endless brake fluid £32.90

Fitting £94.00

Appreciate its a few quid, but well worth the money and IMO worth going Nismo to retain a bit of factory approval. Again IMO it was the 1st modification to do, the brakes are strong from standard but just needed that extra feel and bite. (2nd mod – the Nismo exhaust!!!!)

With regards the discs, don’t bother upgrading until you need to, there are a few other threads on brakes and discs, so take a look. The standard ones are fine unless you go on a track, note Impreza and EVO’s both come with Brembos and solid discs.

Steve - Yes a bit squeely around town under light braking, I tend just to press the peddle a little firmer and get the braking done a little quicker. But that’s just part and parcel of uprated pads I suppose, has happened with all the pads I’ve upgraded on various cars before, I think its definitely offset by the extra bite!!

Hagar - Had the Nismo exhaust fitted at the same time, the quote from RJN for the brakes was as follows:

S-tune pads for Brembo front £150.90

S-tune pads for Brembo rear £137.18

Brake Hoses £204.40

Endless brake fluid £32.90

Fitting £94.00

Appreciate its a few quid, but well worth the money and IMO worth going Nismo to retain a bit of factory approval.

no point in trying to retain factory approval when you used an Endless fluid mate, as soon as they see it's not factory fluid if you try and get something done under warranty they'll cling onto that :)

Someone may correct me on this, but Yellow EBC may not be "e type" approved.

The problem with that could be insurance companies may be a bit iffy.

As I said, may not be true as just reading an advert in "Circuit Driver" yesterday it had "e type" on reb and green..

Steve