Speedometer Question

Stanners

Afternoon All,

After reading the the very helpful posts on this forum I have just bought a very nice gunmetal JDM. I couldn't decide whether to go black or gunmetal but in the end got a deal I couldn't turn down!

Anyway, I have a qustion with regards to the speedometer. It has been converted to MPH on the dash however the digital speedometer still displays Kph even though the actual speeds match i.e. 30mph shows as 30kph.

I'm a bit confused, can someone explain how this affects the fuel usage digital screen. It currently displays an average of 6.0 k/lt. Am I correct in thinking that this would mean the equivalent of 6.0miles/litre?

Lastly, is this the same for all JDM's or do some actually show the digital figues in miles rather than kilometers?

Thanks very much! :wacko:

Thanks for the reply.

I've just done some calculations and I think everything does in fact work out correctly. Well it works out as something like 25mpg which is a little higher than I would have expected but sounds close enough.

I normally keep mine on the temp to be honest too. Someone asked me about it the other day so thought I'd try and work out the 'real-life' fuel usage the other day rather than Nissans official figures. B)

Its been that cold up until now that Ive never really seen anything other than the ruddy temperature! Below 3 (is it?) and it switches to that anyway. At least thats what it does on the UK guage, dont know if the JDM one does this too.

yep does the same

my JDM on the digital readout showed MPH even though it had KPH next to it - used this on the road as more useful re speed cameras than looking at the needle.

only problem on the digital pod was DTE was in KM and economy (!) was in km/l

• 2 months later...

yep me too! digi reading says km but actual speed is obviously in miles as corresponds to my dial. Think it's really worth changing this or best off just sticking with it?

Other thing is - am I the only JDM Zed owner who has triptronic? I loved it that's why I got it but doesn't seem to be any others??? Have I made a big mistake?

yep me too! digi reading says km but actual speed is obviously in miles as corresponds to my dial. Think it's really worth changing this or best off just sticking with it?

Other thing is - am I the only JDM Zed owner who has triptronic? I loved it that's why I got it but doesn't seem to be any others??? Have I made a big mistake?

I think theres quite a few people with tipronics on here. no mistake a nice thing to drive I would imagine??

I would stick with your dials, in a few weeks time you,ll not notice it, I know I dont, saying that,I have mine on outside temp all the time :teeth:

I would agree with lomoto - you'll not worry about it after a while. I tend to keep it on the mph readout as it is a more accurate check as you approach speed cameras :evil::angry:

As far as the other readouts go on that dial, as far as ai can work out, the DTE is in kms., the average speed is in kph and the fuel consumption is in kilometres per litre. You can convert that by multiplying the figure by 4.5 (litres to gallons) then dividing by 5/8 (kilometres to miles). That gives me a return of around 27 or 28 mpg on Optimax if I don't play too hard! ;) Using ordinary unleaded gives a poorer return, I find.

By the way, mine is also a JDM import with Tiptronic, and I think it is great. :teeth: There seem to be quite a few out there, judging by some of the posts in recent weeks. If you check websites of importers such as Bristol Import Centre you will see there is a fair turnover of Tiptronics which somebody out there must be driving.

Enjoy the Z - we all do! :D

Jim

Once imported they adjust the speedo to go up according to mph. They then just stick a bit of black tape over k & just leave m/h showing. This means you can see how fast you are going in mph & is a legal requirement.

The digital odometer which records total mileage is as was in japan & in km/h & that is how it should be. I would be wary of a car that has had its odometer changed to read in miles as you may not know its true mileage before the change. Also when selling on you dont want a note in the service book about odometer change etc, it puts buyers off.

The only problem with all these as already stated is the trip computer info on the pod can be a bit unusable at first glance! Nice calculation Jim about calculating averge mpg! :thumbs:

I take your point about changing the odometer. However, most good importers should be using the BIMTA certification to give you some peace of mind that the mileage shown is accurate. It's obviously a different question if you import it yourself.

Jim