help diagnosing sound?!?

fnvgn

hi there ,

I have an 05 uK Zed that i have enjoyed for the past 3 years , i have stalked this forum in the last 6 months and found it to be very informative.

However i have an anoying problem developing with the zed,

Whenever I set off from 1st gear i can hear a clicking/scratching sound , It does it to a lesser degree in reverse gear. I can only hear it with the windows down. If I "hold" the car on the clutch a bit more i only hear the click slightly or sometimes not at all.

There is no noise whatsoever if i am on a hill and just let the car freewheel down the hil in neutral.

Searching on this forum seems to suggest a clicking axle thing , however i don't think it is that, it sounds more like the clutch or gearbox :headhurt:

any suggestions would be appreciated

Clicking rear axle nearly for sure.

More likely in 1st gear than 2nd but still very much a clink metal sound. Try in a multistorey car park where youve got rid of the gravel and bits in your tyres and windows down and drive off with revs down, probably going to get one sharp click / clink then a gap then another.

The real experts will be along in a bit to comment I'm sure.

does sound like clicking axle to me, if you are stopped with the engine running and out of gear does the noise change ?

open your window and pull away in 1st to see if the sound comes from the rear, it could be the passenger side

:thumbs: I agree with others about the clicking rear axle is most likely the issue from your description.

One other possibility I had with my previous (04) ZED was the rear pads needed some (high melting point) grease on the backs as when dry they tended to 'click' rather than slide smoothly in the caliper with the initial movement of the disc . Might be worth checking.

Oh, and welcome (after a long stalk!) to the site :thumbs:

:thumbs: I agree with others about the clicking rear axle is most likely the issue from your description.

One other possibility I had with my previous (04) ZED was the rear pads needed some (high melting point) grease on the backs as when dry they tended to 'click' rather than slide smoothly in the caliper with the initial movement of the disc . Might be worth checking.

Oh, and welcome (after a long stalk!) to the site :thumbs:

good call :thumbs: copper grease :thumbs:

they would give a clicking scratchig sound, esp. if the car has stood

• 2 weeks later...

hey, jus a reply to the fault with the clicking noise from the rear axle. ive jus picked up my new 350z (well new to me but a 54 plate. and i have the same fault. i have a friend who works for nissan and told me its a common fault wit 350's. the fault is wit the driveshaft, one or 2 of the splines wear out, so u have to remove the driveshaft from the rear, which is about 6 or 8 bolts and also the hub nut, turn the driveshaft 180 degrees and then put it back in. it should be ok then. hope this helps?