Removing Headlights

clarkie34

Does anyone know how difficult it is to remove the headlights on a 06 car.

Been intouch with CinCity Designs and finally think i am going to take the plunge and ship them my headlights.

Not had a look at the lights yet,just hope its an easy removal.

Oh bo*****s thought it would be an easy job.

Do i have to remove the whole bumper,would i not get away with removing the top bolt and tilting it forward.

I have got condensation in one headlight on my 56 plate which will be replaced under warranty.

When I asked the same question as you have above, the dealer told me that the bumper has to be removed completely as you cannot get to the fixing else.

Sorry bud..

It's not that hard though - I have done it myself when I changed the side reflectors for white ones. There are around 10 screws underneath and two either side in the wheel arch, plus the clips on the top. It's a bit fiddly, but I managed to get at the fixings in the wheel arch without removing the wheels and simply turning them full lock from left to right etc.

It's much easier than you think and can be done very quickly if you take the bumper off.

Just use a floor jack and lift the front of your car up after you've loosened the lug nuts on your front wheels. Jack the car up and take the wheels off. Now peel back the wheel well covers and remove the couple of screws holding the bumper on (couple are attached to the light it self). Then take the screws off the top and the bottom of the bumper and bingo, your lights are almost ready to come off. I know it sounds like a lot of work, but trust me, with a couple tools and maybe a hand from a friend, you can do this in about 30 minutes. Seriously THAT easy.

The hardest part is getting the wiring harness disconnected!! I hope you have small hands!! :yuck:

I have 19" wheels so it looks like they will have to come off.

I will have a look tomorrow.

you can access the inner arches with 19" wheels by jacking the car up at the front, this increases the wheel - arch gap :thumbs:

done it myself and had the bumper off

U dont have to take your wheels off bud. I've had my bumper off twice before... once to replace headlight, once to do front reflectors.

It is really easy to do... just the bolts underneath (10mm i think) and the 6 tabs under the bonnet. Well easy. I can have mine off in under 10mins now!

Only thing is - if yours is a uk car you may struggle with the headlight washers... you dont want to be disconnecting all that stuff... and im not sure you'd have enough clearance to get to the 2 headlight bolts....? Good luck.... PM if you get stuck!

U dont have to take your wheels off bud. I've had my bumper off twice before... once to replace headlight, once to do front reflectors.

It is really easy to do... just the bolts underneath (10mm i think) and the 6 tabs under the bonnet. Well easy. I can have mine off in under 10mins now!

Only thing is - if yours is a uk car you may struggle with the headlight washers... you dont want to be disconnecting all that stuff... and im not sure you'd have enough clearance to get to the 2 headlight bolts....? Good luck.... PM if you get stuck!

:lol: when you first do it there seems to be a never ending amount of 10mm bolts

you can take the bumper off enough to get to what you want and leave the headlight washers connected :thumbs:

:lol: when you first do it there seems to be a never ending amount of 10mm bolts

you can take the bumper off enough to get to what you want and leave the headlight washers connected :thumbs:

Thats right... first time i did it i kept coming in to check the image i had on my laptop to see where the bolts were... i was scarred i'd break something!

btw... search my posts and you'll find an ace diagram showing the bolt locations...