windscreen cracked!

relentless

Hi,

Driving on the mway yesterday a nice stone hit my windscreen and a lovely 1" crack appeared!! Just grateful it wasnt my bonnet it hit! Anyway i looked this morning and it turned into a nice 6" crack!

Ive phoned glassline to arrange the replacement (through my insurance) and they wanted to know if it had a tint - its a JDM, can anyone confirm if they usually have a "green tint" i cant really tell myself.

Also, will they have to change the rubber seal/trim? Any tips on getting this done properly would be appreciated! Cant believe i got a crack already, had an FTO for 3 years - not a thing - had a 350Z 4 weeks and got this!!

cheers

mark

mine didnt have a tint, the screen they will prob supply will be the new type anyways with the extra bit of sunshade between the sunvisors to stop the suns glare coming through the gap, no need for the seal strip to be replaced the screen is bonded in place, the strip on the top acts more as a water defector pal. and the screen should come pre fitted with the attachment already bonded on for the rear view mirror, ..

I have recently had a new screen fitted, its a UK car, which does have a tinted screen.. Apparently, I cant say I can tell a huge difference, but its there.

Now its fitted you would never know.. RAC windscreeens did a great job, courtesy of the insurance company!

Well the 1" crack is now three 6 inch cracks!

Have to wait until the 12th of July though before RAC get the windscreen in. Ah well, atleast its not leaking.

2 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :scare:

Surely someone else can do it quicker!! i'd say 3 six inch cracks was an emergency :surrender:

Have to wait until the 12th of July though before RAC get the windscreen in. Ah well, atleast its not leaking.

Surely someone else can do it quicker!! i'd say 3 six inch cracks was an emergency :surrender:

Yep 2 weeks. My insurance company will only pay upto £150 if i dont use their recommended company (RAC), who said that they cant get the glass until 12 July! The cracks havent got any worse though fortunately!

Yep 2 weeks. My insurance company will only pay upto £150 if i dont use their recommended company (RAC), who said that they cant get the glass until 12 July! The cracks havent got any worse though fortunately!

Hope you arent driving it! Do you know how much structural strength comes from the windscreen! Wouldnt want to have a crash with an already cracked screen!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Thought id come back to update this....

After about a month of waiting for a replacement screen i finally got it swapped. I must say that RAC windscreens (Wolverhampton) did a great job. Cant really complain other than the silly waiting time.

They said it needed importing from Japan as the UK ones arnt heated - is this true or just blag cuz they couldnt get one for ages?