Selling Advice

nphnet

I bought my 350z 4 weeks ago and then 2 days after buying it I found out we would be needing extra seats. Now obviously I bought it without too much depreciation worries as I was going to keep it for a couple of years.

I have phoned around for a couple of trade-in quotes and dealers are bidding between about 18k on a 07 GT with 12,000 on the clock. I paid 23k so as you can imagine I am feeling rather sick right now.

Any thoughts on the best way to soften this 5k? I've never sold privately before so put it up on the trading post here and pistonheads for 21k but wonder if dropping to 20k would be a better figure to get a quick sale? Finally is Autotrader worth using?

Thanks,

Nick.

Why do you need such a quick sale? Try it first at the money you want for it then reduce accordingly. What do you mean you need extra seats? Did you not check how many it had before you purchased it? or do you have a partner that is now pregnant? This normally takes 9 months not 9 weeks you know :surrender:

Final note dealers always want to sell it too you for maximum cash and give you minimum when they want to buy it. ;)

Hya mate have a look on pistonheads and autotrader and see what everyone else is selling them for privately, then put your add up to compete with them prices. Get some really nice shots of the car and keep it very clean, on day of viewing. Emphasis facts that need to emphasised, i.e full service history, bigger bhp, 2 years warranty left, road tax, all these help highlight the attractiveness of buying your car over others. If you need help knowing what to put give me a pm bud :thumbs:

When I was selling mine, the company who did some work on modifying the car were interested and offered me 18k for it. :dry: :dry: Which I thought was a joke considering I spent a fortune with them modding it, they then told me they were buying cos they were gonna sell it for around 24-25k, which was nice of them, :dry: so i thought sod this ill sell it myself and did :thumbs:

Always expect bottom dollar price from a trader as they need to resell and make a profit. General rule of thumb is if you find out what traders are selling at then knock between 1k and 2k of to sell at private to compete against them as people buy privately as they are cheaper than trade.

Be prepared for time wasters and tyre kickers, also if people organise an RAC or AA check on your car when an inspector comes let them as this is as good as a deposit because it will usually cost them over 100 quid and guarentees them the car is fine and has no hidden history, the check takes up to two hours, make sure the inspector is who he says he is and never give him your keys, anything he needs opening i.,e bonnet or boot he asks you first and you open.

Cos car is a two seater be wary of people coming to view in big groups, always have someone indoors who can call police should worse happen, this is in extreme cases and very rare but worth mentioning. iIve never had anyone try hyjacking me , but then I carry golf Tees with me so I can shove it in their eyes and bite of their nose and smack em one should they try, whether they are polish or russian mafia or not I really couldnt give a f%&k they all bleed and scream the same way :thumbs:

Be polite and helpful, dont come across as a hard push salesman over the phone. They called you up, be relaxed and if they are interested they will come to view no worries, if they seem in two minds give them time to think, if you come over strong it will only push them away.

And finally, watch out for scams. Not racist but John Little who emails you saying he would like to arrange bank transfer the money to you, without seeing the car or asking any questions, you can bet your life is a scam and for the bonus point is nigerian. Email back saying thats great please give me your bank details your birth date and your mothers maiden name and Ill be happy to give you mine kinda response, and you will be sure not to hear from them again. And tell

companies who call you saying we have a buyer if you pay us 99 pounds we will sell your car if we dont you get your money back, to **** off as they are just as bad as scammers as you never see your money back and they never do sell your car for you.

Hope this gives you an insight mate, good luck with the sale..

Jay

Well said Jay. Great advice there.

especially the golf tees! :boxing::lol:

best form of defense imo, not illegal to carry and just as good as knuckle dusters, they have come in really handy for me, you clench your fist and have them sticking out between your fingers then punch em in the face, works a treat B) If the figt is one on one then fight fair, if more or they have a weapon then you want to be able to finish one as quick as possible to stop the next guy hitting ya, ;)

Well said Jay. Great advice there.

especially the golf tees! :boxing::lol:

best form of defense imo, not illegal to carry and just as good as knuckle dusters, they have come in really handy for me, you clench your fist and have them sticking out between your fingers then punch em in the face, works a treat B) If the figt is one on one then fight fair, if more or they have a weapon then you want to be able to finish one as quick as possible to stop the next guy hitting ya, ;)

Spoken like a true Physco! :thumbs:

I've sold the three cars in my sig privately. The biggest pointer I can give is to get some fantastic pictures of your car done. This can be the difference between someone browsing past your ad or clicking on it. With regard to pictures, get one from all four corners, the engine bay, interior, a close up of at least one of the wheels and maybe even a pic of all the cars documents and receipts. Make sure the car is immaculate when you take the pictures and when they come to view.

When people call be polite, accomadating and flexible. If there are any issues with the car tell people, even volunteer the info before they ask. For example, if the rims need a refurb, tell them before they come. They then won't come and be dissapointed by the condition. Also, if there are any issues such as this, show that you have a resolution in place e.g someone who will refurb the wheels for the buyer or that you will do it before they pick up the car etc. The point of this is to avoid any negative conversations. You want to be talking about only positives. One 'trick' is get them to sit in the drivers seat, you in the passenger seat, talk them through the interior gadgets etc and then get them to start her up. The engine note will get them instantly, they will no longer be listening to you but hearing that V6 growl :teeth: Take them out in it too. Obviously you need to be wary of people, lock your front door and have someone in the house to phone the police or come out with a bat if needed.

Depending on how quick you wanna get shot, I always put my car up for sale at whatever the dealers are selling theirs for. This gives you room to reduce it accordingly. Make your ad a real long detailed description of the car. Make it sound like the car has had no expense spared and that they are getting a bargain. Assume that everyone who reads the ad is an idiot. List every conceivable feature, not all people are car geeks like us lot. Specify the difference between your 07 car to an 06 for example.

One under rated source for selling cars is eBay. I sold both my zeds to people on ebay. Be prepared for jokers wanting to buy your car for peanuts. A lot of traders use eBay to buy cars that are underpriced. I got loads of offers AFTER the auctions had ended from people hoping that the car hadn't sold and I was desperate to get rid.

If I was you I'd stick it up for £22,995 and then systematically reduce it by say £1000 every 2/3 weeks or so. I suppose if you have finance or a loan out for the car then you have to consider the monthly payments while you still have the car.

Lastly, don't panic! The car market is very very slow at the moment as the credit crunch bites. The car will sell, how much for will depend on how you apply any of the above.

Hope this helps :thumbs:

This must be my longest post for about 2 years, I'm going for a nap :yawn::lol:

Thanks guys, I have been phoning around for some trade-in deals and everyone is at the 18-18.5k today. I'll probably place it in autotrader this week and as advised reduce bit by bit. As for viewing I'll arrange for it to be at the office, the scaffolders next door are about as hard as it comes in my opinion.

I'll let you know who we get on.

:notworthy: I'm particularly worried about you Jay as this post and the NOS post make 2 informative posts in as many days :scare::p

Good luck with the sale bud, you got some sound advice there :thumbs:

lol I got knocked out in training the other day, kinda had an awakening, dont worry Im going training tonight to get knocked out again, ill be back to my usual self lol

:notworthy: I'm particularly worried about you Jay as this post and the NOS post make 2 informative posts in as many days :scare::p

Good luck with the sale bud, you got some sound advice there :thumbs:

lol I got knocked out in training the other day,

Did Louis knock you out? :lol::boxing::lol:

I think Louis was chasing him with a feather duster in his tight pink vest and hotpants combo and Jay got in such a state that he passed out giggling when Louis caught him....

If that's knocked out then yeah, Louis knocked him out!

Well just to wrap things up, it was a short and sweet affair with the 350z covering 5000 miles and four countries but I traded it in for an Audi A3 3.0 TDI Quattro which is not so bad :-) The later 57 plates are loaded with leather, dvd navigation, and bluetooth. Getting a reasonable PX was difficult because of current climate conditions but got back 22k, I am certain this was subsidised by the dealer but I'm happy.