Indicator flashes once when lightboard connected

Chris`I

Chaps,

Since getting my bike rack for the zed ( :yahoo: ), I've hit a slight snag. With both bikes on the rack, I need a lightboard as they blocked the lights and number plate. So I got a lightboard and wiring kit from Halfords. All wired in and working spot on or so I thought ....

I've spliced into the loom that runs down the right of the boot to get feeds for indicators and brake light. When IGN on it all works fine, lights flash, relay beeps for indicators, but when the engine is on, the right indicator works and the left flashes once then stops :surrender: With the engine off, but IGN on, they both work fine! :rant:

Any general ideas on what it can be? Is the Zed thinking there is a bulb out and not flashing any more? Usually on bulb out it will flash quicker from my experience. Its a really weird on, hence the need for help!

Save me from having to do the relay work myself when turning left!!!!

You are right with the fast flashing with a bulb out due to the decreased load on the circuit.

The reverse is true as well if you've increased the load (higher resistance bulb or bad connections, both - and +) causing too much resistance in the circuit on the one side it will flash slower or stop.

Try swapping the bulbs over and also recheck the connections.

You are right with the fast flashing with a bulb out due to the decreased load on the circuit.

The reverse is true as well if you've increased the load (higher resistance bulb or bad connections, both - and +) causing too much resistance in the circuit on the one side it will flash slower or stop.

Try swapping the bulbs over and also recheck the connections.

OK, that sounds logical, I'll give that a go. I did think the same thing, so I've ordered some LED indicators from a fleabayer I used to get my LED tail light bulbs so we'll see how it goes. If that doesnt work then it looks like I'll be unwrapping the loom again to check the connections. Dopy sod, I should have checked all the lights worked when the engine was on before I wrapped it, but when it all worked with just IGN I thought it would be ok.

The really strange thing about it is its happy as larry to flash when only IGN is on, but as soon as you start the engine it flashes once more and stops :wacko:

:thumbs:

Chaps,

Since getting my bike rack for the zed ( :yahoo: )

Hi Chris, did you ever post a pic of the bike rack on the car? I need to get a rack myself but an dithering about what to get.

Not taken any pics yet, wanted it all up and running first, but will try and get some tonight if its not raining! Here is a pic on another thread from the chap I bought it off. It was custom fabricated from a Halfords tow bar mounted rack so you wont get another one like it from the shops

th_DSC00310a.jpg

(click to enlarge)

Looks very professional. I wonder if he fancies making another :lol:

I did ask and its his Dad that made it. He said to make it worth while though he would have to charge about £300 to get the rack, fabricate the bits, powdercoat it. Thats 3x what I paid for it, and for me it would be too much to pay. If you'd be happy to pay that then I can pass on your details and see what he says.

I did ask and its his Dad that made it. He said to make it worth while though he would have to charge about £300 to get the rack, fabricate the bits, powdercoat it. Thats 3x what I paid for it, and for me it would be too much to pay. If you'd be happy to pay that then I can pass on your details and see what he says.

Um, in a word... no :lol: I don't need a rack that badly yet :)

Um, in a word... no :lol: I don't need a rack that badly yet :)

Thought that would be the case ;) If you can find yourself a fabricator, you can get the rack from Halfords for £90ish and then get them to weld up the supports. I can send you pics and dimensions if you do.