Normal oil operating temp

matth76

Hi

What is the normal oil operating temp? I know it is absolutely vital not to over rev (keep revs below 3-3.5k revs) during warm up period (in my last car it was around ten mins at least). How long do you wait in your 350 before the oil temp in the trip computer reads normal operating temp?

Thanks for any info.

I would say at LEAST 10mins of driving before its anywhere near temp. 15-20minutes before your upto normal operating temps depending on driving.

Oil temp should be around the 80-100 degree mark again depending on what type of driving your doing.

I tend to wait for coolant to be up to temp, and oil pressure to drop to around the middle of the dial before giving it any real beans, even then I will wait at least another 5 mins before giving it a good thrashing. I beleive oil and coolant temps operate at around the same temp (non-FI) but the coolant gets up to temp a lot quicker

I tend to wait for coolant to be up to temp, and oil pressure to drop to around the middle of the dial before giving it any real beans, even then I will wait at least another 5 mins before giving it a good thrashing. I beleive oil and coolant temps operate at around the same temp (non-FI) but the coolant gets up to temp a lot quicker

id say thats about right except coolant temps run abit lower. But remember that your only taking your time warming up so that the engine and oil is upto temp, reducing wear on your engine. So really you want to be monitoring your oil temp however saying the guages dont show oil temp then watching your water and oil pressure is a good indication.