The infamous Tyre Roar

nixy

Just had a service and MOT yesterday which was all ok. I obviously already knew about the tyre roar problem and that when I change my tyres the noise will stop. The mechanic pointed out to me that the inners of my front tyres were on the legal limit while the outsides were ok. The question is - surely if I put new fronts on they will wear exactly the same? He said he could not find a tracking problem or anything like that.

If there is no tracking problem, i dont have a clue why the insides would wear different to the outside, maybe the camber is wrong? However again i dont have a clue how that could be changed unless you have coilovers on that can be adjusted!

Id say its the tracking, get it aligned somewhere else and make sure you then let your garage know.

They changed the tyre pattern when a cupping problem was diagnosed with the early tyres. The pattern on the edge was redisgned and also when Nissan replaced the tyres under warranty, they adjusted the tracking (toe I think)

As Mike says, tyre feathering was a known issue on some cars as a result of incorrect toe settings from the factory.

If you straddle a lot of island speed bumps it can also push the tracking out. I have mine done every 6-9 months - make sure you go to a 4 wheel laser alignment place and they have the correct settings for the Zed dialled into the machine. You will notice the difference. :thumbs:

do you think it's worth having my front tyres swapped over and the tracking done as an interim measure? I'm trying to wangle 4 new tyres, preferably attached to four new rims if you know what I mean.........

If the wear is on the inside it's more likely to go unoticed.......

Just tell him to stump up for wheel. You must have birthday/anniversary or something coming up soon! If not I'm sure he's upset recently.....

If not then just go in a huff and tell him he should know why. When this happens I generally panic and buy a present....... :blush:

what sort of mileage would you get from your tyres in general? Mine have done less than 12k.

Depends how far out the tracking is.... :blush: If it weren't for the inner edge, how much tread is left on the tyres?

I have done about 16k on my Toyo's.....

what sort of mileage would you get from your tyres in general? Mine have done less than 12k.

Depends how far out the tracking is.... :blush: If it weren't for the inner edge, how much tread is left on the tyres?

I have done about 16k on my Toyo's.....

+1 Depends on a few factors. My first set of RE040' si got just under 15k from but my Toyo's did c30k on the fronts and c25k on the rears before they needed changing.