Performance

WoREoD

At a recent Track Day I had a great time but noticed one thing that intrigued me.

It seemed my car was slower through the corners than other Zs.

In discussion it seemed the other guys were using 3rd & 4th for virtually all the corners, and I was dropping into second for at least two of them.

Since then there has been discussion regarding the performance of the two different spec engines (300ps vs 280ps?) and it seems my extra (it's a GT4) may be at an expense of Torque lower down.

So was that why I felt the need for 2nd? Or was it my old fashioned driving style?

On general driving I sometimes feel the car is not as fast through the corners as I'd like it to be (people keep catching me!). Is that the heaviness of the Z or am I just not brave enough?

Discuss....

JohnK

John,

Experience may say go down the gears and keep the power on, then greater exit speed and less chance of lift off-oversteer.

If need be, I can take the 350z out at an Abingdon day and let you compare the 2.

Were you really any slower or was it that someone had a TT. Were others pulling away.

Steve

Hi Steve.

Didn't feel anyone was catching me on the straights (apart from the TT) but one of the other GMs (standard I think) seemed to be quicker than me through the corners/chicane. It may be just an impression...

I tried the chicane in both 2nd and 3rd on different laps and top speed at the end of the following straight was exactly the same (104mph with son in car, 105mph without!).

Watched the Grand Prix today - maybe its just the closing effect of slowing down for a corner and then hammering away....

JohnK

p.s. Want to practise with ESP off before I commit to it - I used to be able to steer a 3-litre Capri with the throttle pedal but I'm a lot older now! :) (And tyres are a lot dearer!)