Help Please- Problem on front brakes

Dicky

Just fitted red stuff pads and wheel spacers all round. Now got grating coming from front when I brake.

Noticed a couple of things when doing the work that puzzled me and may be the reason---any advice welcome.

1. On the rear pads, the outer pad of the old and one of the new pair had a spring type fitting attached to it. Same on the other rear wheel.

However on the front wheels one of the old pads on both wheels (the outer one) also had this spring fitting on it but neither of the new pads had it.

2 Noticed that the front discs are free to move when the wheel is removed and seem to be held on only by the wheel when its in position. Is this normal?

I think you are on about the brake pad wear sensors, think some have pads have them some dont. My oem ones had it new ones didnt.

Grating noise, esp if red stuffs could be them bedding as they have the 'break in coating' or could be grit caught between disc and pad

Sorry about the delay in responding. My daughters studying for an A level exam in the morning and has comandered the computer and the Yfi is down,

Anyway, Ive added a picture (hope it works) the spring Im on about can be seen in the bottom left corner of the pad sticking out.

In answer to your queeries,

Copper grease = yes

Grit = will check that in the morning

Bedding in + yes good suggestion will check in the morning

Spring = yes could be a wear sensor not sure if this car has that although I would have thought iot would. Is it usual for Red Stuff pads not to have this?

4 Arm Spider = No that spring is in place. The one I mean is mounted on the pad itself

Disc Are Slack = So there meant to be loose, In the olden days they used to be secured with a counter sunk screw.

Cheers everyone---a problem shared is a proble halfed (or something like that.

Also a friend in need is -----a pest get rid of him!! :thumbs:

Don't worry about those little spring bits, all is fine.

If the noise is still there, whip the pads out and check the disc and pad have no grit stuck anywhere and then do the bedding in procedure in the guides section on here...... ;)

Just fitted red stuff pads and wheel spacers all round. Now got grating coming from front when I brake.

Noticed a couple of things when doing the work that puzzled me and may be the reason---any advice welcome.

1. On the rear pads, the outer pad of the old and one of the new pair had a spring type fitting attached to it. Same on the other rear wheel.

However on the front wheels one of the old pads on both wheels (the outer one) also had this spring fitting on it but neither of the new pads had it.

2 Noticed that the front discs are free to move when the wheel is removed and seem to be held on only by the wheel when its in position. Is this normal?

My newly fitted Red Stuff pads did exactly the same thing. All is well now they are bedded in. Just give it a bit of time.

I fitted new pads all round a few weeks ago and I have been getting the same type of grating noise.... but only from my offside rear wheel...

It was doing my nut in on the Wales run too....

Only seems to happen once warmed up... I have had the wheel off,,,, sanded the pads a bit and it went away for a while then has come back....

:rant::rant:

Just been looking at a workshop manual (I think its for a USA car tbut should be the same ?) and it shows the front brakes as having an Inner shim and Inner shim cover, but my original pads (first time changed from new) didnt have these when I took them out. Although they did have the thin stick on shim type of thing that I had to fit manually to the back pads before fitting. Should the metal shim be fitted do you know??

Ive tried to attach a copy of the manual page but its to big to upload apparently. By the way the manual shows the spring device on the pad I mentioned as being the wear sensor as you suggested. Hey ho

Well Ive sorted it--and your just not going to believe this.

The car was on the hard stand in the back garden and having put the pads in position on the very last wheel, I decided to have a bru before putting the wheel back on. So I put the kettle on and what do you think--

While in the kitchen someone must have climbed over my six foot security fence, taken one of my pads back out and replaced it the wrong way around, then scarpered. The metal of the pad was rubbing against the disc making the noise. Good job I didnt brake to heavilly when testing it.

Told you you wouldnt believe it. :blush:

Put it back in the correct way around and not a squeek now.

SOME BLOODY PEOPLE Eh!!! :lol:

Please dont tell anyone though, cos they may get the wrong impression and think it was me :thumbs:

Thanks once again for all your advice in my hour of need.

The car was on the hard stand in the back garden and having put the pads in position on the very last wheel, I decided to have a bru before putting the wheel back on. So I put the kettle on and what do you think--

While in the kitchen someone must have climbed over my six foot security fence, taken one of my pads back out and replaced it the wrong way around, then scarpered. The metal of the pad was rubbing against the disc making the noise. Good job I didnt brake to heavilly when testing it.

Please dont tell anyone though, cos they may get the wrong impression and think it was me :thumbs:

I won't mention the spacers then :lol:

:lol: You dunce!

Glad its all sorted though :thumbs:

Car looks much better with those 20mm sapacers you supplied Phil. Thanks once again for a fast efficient service and most importantly a very good price. Will always check with ESR for my bits in future to be sure to be sure. :thumbs:

Car looks much better with those 20mm sapacers you supplied Phil. Thanks once again for a fast efficient service and most importantly a very good price. Will always check with ESR for my bits in future to be sure to be sure. :thumbs:

also here for advice as well, don't always have to spend money despite what others may infer.

also here for advice as well, don't always have to spend money despite what others may infer.

Agreed 100%. You were most helpfull with my telephone questions and is why I'd buy from you in the future (my cheque's in the post isnt it?) :lol: