More Than Likely FAQ....

nordberg

I'm going to be a total noob here so please accept my apologies in advanvce...

I have a few queries I'd like your feedback on regarding the Z. For the past 4 years I've been running Celicas. I was close to getting the Z when I last changed 2 years ago, but waiting lists and sensibility prevented me. Now, however.....

The biggest problem I can see is the running costs. I know it will cost more to run than my TSport, but I'm looking for some realistic economy figures. I spend a good deal of time in queueing traffic to and from work. The rest of my driving is on your usual A road. I don't do so much motorway driving. What MPG can I expect to acheive if I drive reasonably sensibly? I also imagine the Z has a hunger for rubber. How long do the average set of tyres last?

What's the deal with the JDM's? There's obviously loads about but I have read stories about how they are this and that and basically not a patch on the UK models? Fact or fiction?

Are there any common faults I should be looking for? I'm more than likely going to be going for a used one (or "pre-owned" according to my local Nissan dealer).

I think that's about it for now....

Cheers,

Matt

MPG can drop to about 20 or just under when town driving, but over 30 when M-way crusing. For mixed driving you should average around 25mpg.

Tyres - all depends how hard you thrash them. Changed mine at about 11k or 12k. Rears were pretty well gone, fronts still had a bit of life, but I wanted the same on all 4 corners so changed them all at once ( about £550 for Toyo T1-Rs, which are highlt recommended ).

I'm sure there's a thread explaining the differences with JDMs somewhere. BAsically the early ones were inferior in quite a few areas, the later ones are more or less the same, so depends on how old you were looking at.

No major faults - a few smaller things fitted under warranty ( although I've not needed any of them ).

Have you had a test drive, if not, give it a go, bet you'll be impressed :p

Gus

I concur with Gus, with basically everything he says.

I have 2 sets of wheels/tyres and the OEM RE040 seem everlasting! I have Toyos on the nice wheels, and they seem to wear quicker than my RE040, but are much much better tyres!

If you want to go down the modifying route, I'd go JDM (say 2004 model ST or even base ones if you are looking at serious modifying anyway) then spend the rest you saved on mods! :teeth:

What's the deal with the JDM's? There's obviously loads about but I have read stories about how they are this and that and basically not a patch on the UK models? Fact or fiction?

Welcome Matt!!! :D

The above is generally a load of cack perpetuated by the usual suspects. The JDM versions are very slightly different, but come in various trim levels. If you are getting one, get a version S or ST, as these come with brembos. Should be reasonable amount of information around, if you search for it and are keen.

Rish

Guest prescience

They are all built in the same factory - some of the main differences are UK models have/is:

= larger fuel tank

= different ECU (10 BHp less allegedly ;))

= rear spoiler

= xenon headlights

= headlamp washers

= bigger radiator

= uprated interior

= uprated suspension (same from Nov 2004 onwards I believe)

= different exhaust

= phone integration

= speed limit of 155mph and not 112mph

= manual (6 speed gearbox)

= Thatcham cat 1 alarm

= different horn

= 18" wheels

= (generally) cheaper insurance but shop around

= more expensive (for same mileage and age)

= enhanced cooling for LSD

= GT pack option (leather seats, heated seats, cruise control, BOSE)

= Brembos as standard

= different (larger) air intake

= oil cooler

JDM car has:

= tiptronic gearbox

= max speeds 112mph (HKS speed defender needed) about £120

= auto roll-up window

= rear wiper which you can move easily to clean :lol:

= 17" wheels

= ridiculously bright high-beam light in car; £10 to fix

= no fog light (will be fixed as part of SVA)

= Sat Nav which doesn't work and no cheap fix

= radio needing a frequency shifter - cheap to fix

= option of white paint B)

= square number plate

= wing mirrors fold-in when locking car

= wing mirrors dip down when selecting reverse B)

= optional xenons (but no headlamp washer)

= optional brembos

Maybe I should post this list as FAQ, but first guys comment please, so we can get it as definitive as poss.

Wow. Thanks for all the info, certainly very helpful.

As it stands, I've looked around and I figure I'm in the market for a 03/04 registered GT pack with the Rays which I gather were an option on the earliest GT's (?). I've just been to look at an 53 reg GT in grey. Just under 30k miles on it and in good order. Downside is that it's had 3 owners already which always raises eyebrows. It's at a Nissan dealer and is up at £19,995. Seems a good price and I need to see it when it's not pi$$ing it down to get a better impression of its condition.

Have to say that I love the Sunset colour. Was this only available with the bright orange interior on the GT?

Guest prescience

I think you could have the normal black leather as opposed to the Alezan with the sunset - but TBH I'm not 100%.

Rays were an option (£1000) on GT and non GT alike that I am certain of :)

Wow. Thanks for all the info, certainly very helpful.

As it stands, I've looked around and I figure I'm in the market for a 03/04 registered GT pack with the Rays which I gather were an option on the earliest GT's (?). I've just been to look at an 53 reg GT in grey. Just under 30k miles on it and in good order. Downside is that it's had 3 owners already which always raises eyebrows. It's at a Nissan dealer and is up at £19,995. Seems a good price and I need to see it when it's not pi$$ing it down to get a better impression of its condition.

Have to say that I love the Sunset colour. Was this only available with the bright orange interior on the GT?

£20K sounds too much for 30K miles 3 owner 3 y.o. car! B)

Sunset with orange interior? You know when you've been Tangoed! :wacko::D

£20K sounds too much for 30K miles 3 owner 3 y.o. car! B)

Sunset with orange interior? You know when you've been Tangoed! :wacko::D

You think? I can't find anything else in that price brackets apart from imports. I'm looking on Autotrader.co.uk - any other suggestions?

I have a P/X which is why I'm sticking to dealers....

Yeh I know what you mean when the Zed is so bright....you gotta wear shades :p I'd rather it be the black/grey interior than the orange one. Having said that, it wouldn't stop me buying the right vehicle if it came along in that guise...

The other thing I've been meaning to ask...Do Z owners consider the GT Pack to be good value and worth the extra loot? Also, what's the Bose audio like?

Guest prescience

Whatcar or more particularly exchangeandmart.co.uk/motoring

No to the GT pack - the Bose is just re-badged not a proper Bose, where can you truly use cruise control and with a garage who needs heated seats. All IMO of course.

Save the 1.5k-2k and spend it on proper mods ;):p

GT pack £2.5K: Electrically adjustable, heated leather seats, cruise control and stereo upgrade to 240w and 7 speaker system (from stock 160w 4 speaker system).

On other prestige marques you would pay as options around £1.2K for leather seats, £900 for electically adjusted seats, £300 for heated seats, £500 for stereo upgrade, £100 for cruise = £3K.

IMHO GT pack is reasonably priced, and optional so take it or leave it as you like. I like leather seats, I wouldn't want to go back to a manually operated seat having had electric, and I appreciate the seat heating 6 months of the year! I use cruise control most days, and find it particularly useful for sticking to speed limits, for instance in areas with average speed cameras where a few moments inattention can easily see you drift above the limit.

They are all built in the same factory - some of the main differences are UK models have/is:

= larger fuel tank

= different ECU (10 BHp less allegedly ;))

= rear spoiler

= xenon headlights

= headlamp washers

= bigger radiator

= uprated interior

= uprated suspension (same from Nov 2004 onwards I believe)

= different exhaust

= phone integration

= speed limit of 155mph and not 112mph

= manual (6 speed gearbox)

= Thatcham cat 1 alarm

= different horn

= 18" wheels

= (generally) cheaper insurance but shop around

= more expensive (for same mileage and age)

= enhanced cooling for LSD

= GT pack option (leather seats, heated seats, cruise control, BOSE)

= Brembos as standard

= different (larger) air intake

= oil cooler

JDM car has:

= tiptronic gearbox

= max speeds 112mph (HKS speed defender needed) about £120

= auto roll-up window

= rear wiper which you can move easily to clean :lol:

= 17" wheels

= ridiculously bright high-beam light in car; £10 to fix

= no fog light (will be fixed as part of SVA)

= Sat Nav which doesn't work and no cheap fix

= radio needing a frequency shifter - cheap to fix

= option of white paint B)

= square number plate

= wing mirrors fold-in when locking car

= wing mirrors dip down when selecting reverse B)

= optional xenons (but no headlamp washer)

= optional brembos

Maybe I should post this list as FAQ, but first guys comment please, so we can get it as definitive as poss.

Thought of two more things on JDM

= Key Fob unlocks the boot

= Different Badge on the boot.