Underbody sealing

Ezzjw

• 4 weeks later...

Only just caught this notification, sorry. I used Upol's Raptor product to give the arches some extra protection. I managed to get it on a deal at Halfords which was the cheapest I could find at the time. I'm by no means an expert, I did this with the help of a friend 😁

There's two options:

-I think it's called Raptor XT, which is a 2 pack product where you need to mix in hardener. It's touch dry almost instantly and has good coverage. You have two application options - either use a roller or a spray gun (attached to an air compressor). I used the spray gun but if you do this you'll definitely want to cover all your paintwork. One you've mixed in the hardener you are time limited as you'd expect from that sort of product. 

-The second option is aerosols. I used these to spray on some areas that got mistakenly missed during the main application and for touch ups if needed. It's quick and easy to use as you'd expect from an aerosol. It seems like Halfords may have since stopped stocking this as I can't seem to find it on their website.

Out of the two I'd definitely suggest using the 2 pack "XT" product. It seems way more durable over the aerosol which I have seen chip off where it doesn't quick bond properly. Just be aware that the official try time on the product is measured in days and I'm fairly sure it recommends a week before "heavy use".

I also filled the frame rails with Bilt Hamber Dynax-S50.

Ideally you're supposed to put a primer on before the raptor, but I think you can get away without it if you're time limited. I bought 4 bottles which was way too much for what I wanted - a total of two bottles was used on all 4 arches.

This is the second car I've got Raptor on, my Mini was done a couple of years ago and I'm very happy with how it's held up. I've only had the 350 done a couple of months so can't speak for longer term durability just yet.

davrlbs4.jpg.f7c965dfd4f20bf16ee8c0306c54f2a1.jpg