obd Scanner for 350Z again but.......

Jeff E

Has anyone experienced this. After 80 miles around Brands Hatch so car pretty hot ,I went to refuel, then car would not start. Nothing, no ignition lights . Checked battery connectors all ok. Tried jump start, nothing , no ignition lights all completely dead. After 15 minutes standing it fired up. Returned to circuit, 1 mile , switched off, would not restart, as before nothing. Boot lid wierdly self locked.  Disconnected battery, reboot ?? After 15 minutes started. Set off home but after 60 miles as cruising along suddenly no power. Engine running but wouldn't go above 1800 rpm. Luckily got to a layby, engine running and all warning lights had come on, ABS, ECU, Traction control etc. Then it stopped and would not start. During 2 hour wait for breakdown, kept trying it, nothing. Break down chaps battery  booster and it fired up. Showing 14+volts charging . He brought me home and car started. Car started this morning  but to 2-3 minutes for it to show 14V+. Breakdown chap said when lights all came on usually alternator not charging but it is. Also did not tell him about my earlier problems 

Any ideas as daren't risk using until get sorted

All the links from earlier posts to e Bay/ Amazon for  OBD scanners that work come up " we have looked everywhere but can't find" or if the scanner comes up " currently unavailable ". Can someone advise me of one that works for the 350Z which is current. Trying to solve problem in my earlier post, Complete Electrical Failure

thanks Rod. Based in Woodbridge Suffolk. Used to know your part of the world well. Lived Hadleigh then Latchingdon and worked for Mobil at Coryton. I shall buy the unit you have as it works with IOS not just Android. I have now made progress on my total electric but intermittent electric failure. You Tube to the rescue. It's a problem with the " main+ve battery fusible fuse link " unit. Common Nissan problem with older cars. Replacement ordered.

Jeff

I have a cheapo OBD reader (Not the VERY CHEAPEST but cheap enough) for mine a JDM car. Works just fine. Beleive it or not folowing rant is OBD reader related. 

I have been having HUGE PROBLEMS with my brand new Pioneer head unit. Cannot return this NASTY POS as I threw the box out nor can I find the receipt. I have now bought a cheap Chinese head unit off the bay of evil. Not the cheapest £30 one. Which I did buy but then decided NAAA NOT WHAT I WANT ! So I have now bought another once again cheap Chinese head unit but this one at A WHOLE £64.   With ITS OWN internal GPS ( not off phone data,) and internal fully programmable steering wheel interface also included is a reversing camera kit. This head unit arrived this morning TIDY ENOUGH. Sound system standard 16n pin plug has tails on it I KNEW THIS but I got an ISO lead with both plugs fitted off Amazon for £10 . From reviews I have read seen on YouTube this particular unit is  decent enough not high end but decent enough and fast enough. Fast enough for car use requirements..Not looking top end anyway as the exhaust certainly competes. It will certianly be easier installed than the Pioneer. This is the CARS FAULT as dash internals have been altered and original ODDBALL fitting brackets missing. ODDBALL even to all other JDM I have seen on Youtube. Making instalation REALLY DIFFICULT and externly visually badly fitted. I have spent a bucket load on fitting kits unusable wheel interfaces to try get this useless SOB Pioneer fitted correctly AND FAILED. I could not return any of this stuff as I had little choice but use a few odd bits out of each kit of parts. SCUNNERED PROPER SCUNNERED ! For those unfamiliar with the word REALLY Pee'd off.

New head unit is only just under 2 inches thick, defnitly weighs less than a bag of sugar and WILL mount directly and fully correctly to the inside of the face panel  using the surrounds trim face plate fitting screws not the dash internals. ANYWAY back off this tangent. New unit is Android meaning it is capable of insallation of apps. I have ordered a MID PRICE RANGE authentic chip, any protocol auto shut down OBD Bluetooth transmiter. Included with this item  is the Torque app Pro version inclusive in the still pretty low price. Said transmitter can be left pluged in permanantly. .MY CUNNING PLAN to quote Baldrick is to install the Torque app in the head unit HOPEFULLY If I can get it working to give LIVE IN CAR DIAGNOSTICS C/W live fault code read and reset. That is the plan anyway. Only snag is If theTorque app is also installed on my phone which it will be and Bluetooth paired it will switch on the OBD Bluetooth device when you even near the car with your phone. Using power .Phone will need unpaired from the OBD device. when not in use.  If Torque app is needed on phone to diagnose another vehicle it is only a matter of unpluging OBD Bluetooth device. Fit the transmiter in other vehicle. Pair phone with device. Simple as . From what I have read as my car is 2005 JDM I can use the Torque app on her completly FOC .Newer than this JDM;s require a paid for and quite likely very temporary Permision.   Can this CHEAPO head unit be worse than the POS Pioneer ?  DOUBT THAT. That garbage DELETED ALL THE CONTACTS OFF MY PHONE after unit had installed them. Certanly not the only issue. Bluetooth connection and radio are the only two functions that can be counted on as working. Even the one touch OFF SWITCH is slow reacting and difficult to use as it is only mm away from the face mount USB needed to be correctly wired with the and to charge the phone. Musics on my phones SD card. New head unit has two USB tails fed from rear of unit for which I have two panel mount USB sockets. One will be fitted LH of centre consol the other inside consols cubby hole where phone can live completly hidden away, its cable also unseen. Ugly aftermarket stick on phone mounts ? No thanks. AND TO PIONEER NEVER EVER AGAIN !

Edit    BTW beffore anyone points it out. Pioneers handbook.  Not the REALLY BASIC BOOK THAT CAME WITH UNIT Described not as a book but a guide, But from a far more comprehensive on line ONLY version states.  Unit can be reset to factory settings for any reason  OR IF UNIT DOES NOT WORK CORRECTLY this can be done with a pen or any other sharp object.  A FXXXING PEN ?  NO CHANCE !   Reset hole is far too tiny and switch too far set back inside the unit to be accesed by a pen. I have reset this unit which in itself is A CHORE numberous times. A REALLY TEMPORARY FIX before the unit goes haywire again.

Again before anyone points out that I really should buy a higher end head unit. The MUCHO CHEAPO CHINEZIUM one was selected due to aforementioned fitting issues. This unit being SO SLIM it will fit EASILY AND CORRECTLY. I can not use a unit that sits way back into the dash. No facility of using side brackets in this car. A correct fitting is a most important issue to me. The quality of the audio ? Not that particularly conserned as said exhaust will compete. I am not one to sit up parked listening to clasicial orchestras. DO NOT NEED A TOP END UNIT. I do however do need a head unit fitted, rather than the big gaping hole and no sounds AT ALL I got the car with. The features on this unit I now have are what I was looking for. Phone function. Bluetooth. Direct head unit access to the many albums on  phones SD card without having to start select album and play processes done on the phone itself to use my music as is required through Bluetooth.  Also THE STEERING WHEEL CONTROLS allready on the wheel I DO want this car working complety corectly. These are the specific functions I required. AND DID NOT GET WITH THE JUNK PIONEER.   GPS Android reverse camera ARE ALL BONUSES. Not to mention again if I can make it work the Torque app. Regarding the OBD Bluetooth device  I SPENT MORE ON FITTING KITS ( PLURAL ) TRYING TO FIT THE PIONEER.. Each kit cost more than this OBD device. So not even a dreadfull loss if I cannot get Torque working. I WANT IT, I REALLY WANT IT but again no big loss if  I cannot

Edited by Laurence C

The app I use is car gauge Pro, there is a free trial then you can pay for the full version, torque will not work with JDM some people say newer JDMs might not work with anything.

The app has all the live readings, fault codes, throttle learning, rpm adjustment etc. 

15 hours ago, rodgeevans said:

The app I use is car gauge Pro, there is a free trial then you can pay for the full version, torque will not work with JDM some people say newer JDMs might not work with anything.

The app has all the live readings, fault codes, throttle learning, rpm adjustment etc. 

From what I have read all JDM 2006 and newer require a paid for permission LIKELY TEMPORARY TOO.

Edited by Laurence C

Thanks for your replies and now have an one that works with my 350Z. My earlier post of complete electric failure was down to a problem I believe /hope with the "main +ve  fusible fuse link" which I have replaced. See you Tube for details.