Rhythmic creaking during low speed braking

FairladyLexi

Hi guys,

I've got a really annoying issue with my Z! During low-speed braking, there's a horrible creaking noise that happens in a sort of 'back and forth' manner (bit like a squeaky bed) as the wheel is turning. I thought it was old pads and discs, so I had the rears changed in November and the noise went away. It's now come back in the last few days, exactly as it was before.

Things to note:

• Only happens during low-speed braking, especially when coming to a stop.
  • Does not happen when braking whilst reversing.
  • Does not happen at all when braking via just the handbrake, whether lightly or strongly.
  • Gets louder the more the brakes are used. Doesn't seem to happen when cold.
  • There's also quite a loud, singular click that comes from the rear when pulling away from a stop.
  • I've tried pushing back the dust shields on both sides to no effect.
  • Brake cleaning spray has no effect and there are no signs of grooves being worn into the discs, so debris is unlikely the cause.

The noise is very similar to in this video, so my next guess is the wheel bearings/hubs.

If anyone has had this issue and has any ideas, it would be very helpful!

Thanks,

Lexi

Edit: I forgot to mention that my car is a JDM example with the non-Brembo brakes.

Edited by FairladyLexi

I can't help you with your squeaky bed I am afraid, however the singular click will be the rear pads moving in the caliper.

I would get the rear wheels off and make sure that all the pad retaining pins are in situ.

Also when the wheels are off double check that the dust covers have no interference issues and that no foreign bodies have got caught up in the dust cover aperture or in the tyre thread.

Doesn't sound like wheel bearing but here if you require them.

https://www.350z-uk.com/topic/126956-for-sale-350z-rear-wheel-bearing-assembly/

https://www.350z-uk.com/topic/126958-for-sale-350z-rear-wheel-bearing-assembly-carrier/

13 minutes ago, ZMANALEX said:

I can't help you with your squeaky bed I am afraid, however the singular click will be the rear pads moving in the caliper.

I would get the rear wheels off and make sure that all the pad retaining pins are in situ.

Also when the wheels are off double check that the dust covers have no interference issues and that no foreign bodies have got caught up in the dust cover aperture or in the tyre thread.

Doesn't sound like wheel bearing but here if you require them.

https://www.350z-uk.com/topic/126956-for-sale-350z-rear-wheel-bearing-assembly/

https://www.350z-uk.com/topic/126958-for-sale-350z-rear-wheel-bearing-assembly-carrier/

Thanks for the response. Perhaps further investigation into the brakes might be a good idea. I forgot to mention that my car is a JDM example with the non-Brembo brakes, if that makes any difference?

As Alex has mentioned sounds like you’ve got a few issues here which could be different symptoms, 

* unfortunately it’s fairly common that some garages clean the carriers too aggressively and take away the carrier material itself allowing the pads to move too freely in the carriers - also another point, does it have the shims installed correctly? sometimes when they’re missing or thrown away you get that click noise. 

* the squeaky bed sound as Alex suggested seems to be possible mot related to the handbrake shoes, I would have thought that the garage would have adjusted these when replacing discs and pads. However sometimes the shoes wear unevenly and can sometimes interfere with the mating surface, another thing to note is if the shoes are catching there’s only the two spring retainers holding the shoes in which could be your creaky noise id suggest removing the discs and assessing the state of the shoes and adjustment to rule out of the equation. 

when you are low speed braking, have you used the handbrake slowly to see if the noise stops or becomes worse? 

we’ve had it before where someone takes the old discs off without de adjusting the handbrake pulls the spring retainer through the crusty backing plate and then the spring then goes into the hamster wheel also making an annoying terrible noise?