Spacers question

Digsy

OK, so I'm getting a bit pee'd off looking at the shocking offsets of the rear Rays and I can't afford new rims (and have reluctantly sold my old 19" ones) so my mind turned to spacers. I remember ir_fuel having Eibach Pro-spacers fitted to his and it transformed the looks for me.

My problem is that anything I do has to be completely reversible in 15 months time when the car goes back.

Has anyone fitted spacers and can confirm what's required. I think the old studs need drilling out and longer ones fitting. How reversible is that and what's the chances of the original studs being damaged when they are removed?

Any first hand views (rather than just "spacers wreck your wheel bearings") would be appreciated. :thumbs:

There are wheel spacer kits available. I remember having a conversation with Adam about them. There are a few options. I think there is definitely a case of 'you get what you pay for' with them.

I spoke with my tyre fitting place about them too, they did a set on a Zed and reckoned it looked good but the handling was affected. Not sure if this is true though.

I like Rays wheels and in my honest opinion having them fill the arches looks good.

Hope someone with first hand experience or some knowledge can help you out Digsy.

Digsy,

I was talking to Phil about the same thing, and if I recall correctly he would reccomend the ones which are totally hub centric. So you dont have any collar or shim to place within the centre of the spacer to stop it from moving within the wheel centre. They are machined to be a perfect fit to the wheel and therefore act as a load bearing extension to the hub.

These then bolt to your hub (therefore extending the hub) and the wheel bolts onto the spacers.

Phil has been running 50mm (yes fifty) on EACH side on one vehicle and it hasnt missed a beat on bearings etc.

Heres some before and after pics:

before:

spacerbefore.jpg

after:

spacerafter.jpg

Hubcentrics are readily available. Go for TUV ones, prices normally start around the £60-£70 for decent ones. Just depends how much you want to flare them out by. Sa has been said, the huncentrics will bolt directly to the hub then you bolt the wheel to the hubcentric spacer and thus, are totally reversable as and when needed.

Digsy, I undestand your predicament with regards to only adding reversible mods but do you really think the leasing company are going to notice a couple of 20mm spacers? Remember, the people who check these cars spend most of their day looking at rep mobiles like Mondeo's, Vectra's and 3-series Beemers. I doubt it very much that you'd get pulled up on a spacer. A bodykit sure, but a spacer... very unlikely.

I returned cars with the wrong stereo before now and they haven't noticed.

Just do it :thumbs:

Digsy, I undestand your predicament with regards to only adding reversible mods but do you really think the leasing company are going to notice a couple of 20mm spacers? Remember, the people who check these cars spend most of their day looking at rep mobiles like Mondeo's, Vectra's and 3-series Beemers. I doubt it very much that you'd get pulled up on a spacer. A bodykit sure, but a spacer... very unlikely.

Ah, but its done through a Nissan dealer who will probably sell it on their forecourt when its returned. I expect it to pretty obvious if they take the wheels off...

Hubcentrics are readily available. Go for TUV ones, prices normally start around the £60-£70 for decent ones. Just depends how much you want to flare them out by. Sa has been said, the huncentrics will bolt directly to the hub then you bolt the wheel to the hubcentric spacer and thus, are totally reversable as and when needed.

I was planning on going for the Eibach hubcentric ones like ir_fuel's which are also TUV approved.

Its the practicalities of actually putting them on that I don't understand. If I bolt it to the hub and the original studs poke through they will be too short - that's why they come as standard with longer studs. Now if the longer studs are attached to the spacer and the old studs go through the additional holes, are there indentations in the back of the rim to allow clearance for the old studs, as the new studs will go through the holes in the rim and then the nuts on to them? Does that make any sense to anyone???? :wacko:

Ah, but its done through a Nissan dealer who will probably sell it on their forecourt when its returned. I exect it to pretty obvious if they take the wheels off...

only 1/2 hr to remove them mate :thumbs: probably less if leave it overnight in st johns ;)

Ah, but its done through a Nissan dealer who will probably sell it on their forecourt when its returned. I exect it to pretty obvious if they take the wheels off...

only 1/2 hr to remove them mate :thumbs: probably less if leave it

overnight in st johns ;)

:lol:

This is the issue though - I've been told that the old studs have to be removed and replaced by the longer studs, rather than how I've suggested it could be done in my last post. Surely, replacing the studs isn't a half hour job or am I being told porkies?

The spacers used on the car in the two pics are Eibach 20mm hubcentric spacers.

They bolt onto the existing studs and have a new set of studs set into the spacer to then bolt the wheel to. This makes it a very simple job with no risk of getting it wrong. The spacers are specific for the 350Z so everything is a perfect fit.

The spacers used on the car in the two pics are Eibach 20mm hubcentric spacers.

They bolt onto the existing studs and have a new set of studs set into the spacer to then bolt the wheel to. This makes it a very simple job with no risk of getting it wrong. The spacers are specific for the 350Z so everything is a perfect fit.

the same as the h&r spacers :thumbs:

Ah, but its done through a Nissan dealer who will probably sell it on their forecourt when its returned. I expect it to pretty obvious if they take the wheels off...

If its an improvement, they probably won't mind.

I like the idea but if they can extort money out me I'm sure they'll pretend they care. Cynical, moi? ;)

I like the idea but if they can extort money out me I'm sure they'll pretend they care. Cynical, moi? ;)

I'm guessing you bouht it from a Liverpool based dealer?

Like Liverpool's John Lennon airport... They charge you for the plastic bags they make you put any liquids in AND they charge you to go through passport control!

(can you hear the echoes of "Robbing Scousers" being muttered all over the country?)

:lol:

Mystery solved - there are two types of Eibach Pro-Spacer...

For the Nissan 350z we offer two types of spacers. We offer a system four which will bolt on to the original studs and a system six where you will need the longer studs.

The system four part numbers are 90-4-15-001 and 90-4-25-019.

I'm sorted now but it may help someone else. Thanks for the replies. :thumbs: