New HU, poor DAB reception.

AK350Z

Hello All, finally got round to putting a new HU in after 12 years lol. The install has gone fine, I've got a non-Bose car, so with the right adapter harness it was pretty straightforward. The only issue being poor DAB reception ATM.

I went for a Sony XAV-AX3005DB, it included a generic DAB antenna, but this one just sticks on your windscreen, rather than needing an earth on the A pillar: Here

Antenna power is "on" in the menu, and the antennas plugged in.

I read in one of the guides there is a power wire for antennas, but that seemed to be for FM rather than DAB? 

Ideas welcome! 

Edited by AK350Z

Yeah its not A1 round here, but i've got 2 DAB radios in the house, The Transit has a factory one, and the aftermarket Kenwood unit with a sticky foil antenna that was in my old Multipla runabout are all much better. Hence why i think there's maybe something wrong, it's really ropey. In fact the one in the Multipla was unreal how easily it got a signal.

Edited by AK350Z

IMG_20200825_190715.jpg.eddf987874197e37b70ae66bc1a54dda.jpgHmm, anyone know if the non- Bose aerial is amplified? Might try one of those splitters if not, some people have had success with those.

Anyway here's a pic. Also turns out I got the pre facelift double din adapter, so that needs sorted too

Edited by AK350Z

• 11 months later...

Just for anyone searching in the future, I replaced the self contained dab aerial for a official Kenwood stick-on that has the foil grounding strip to stick onto the a-pillar, usually with a bit of paint sanded off.

Reception is now much improved, and usable in most places apart from the usual rural blackspots around my area. So pretty happy now 

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/kenwood-dab-a1-interior-windscreen-mount-dab-antenna-aerial.html

Also managed to find a correctly fitting facia for my HR model, despite the link name. 

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/ct24ns04-facia-plate-for-nissan-350z-2003-gt