Jump to content

Airbag Light Flashing Even After Resistor


Recommended Posts

Hi all have fitted bucket seats ages ago and the 2.2ohm resistor in each side as per a guide on here. Anyways it’s not mot time and it needs to be turned off.  

 

I have done the reset & yet it still flashes. All soldering joints check out, multimeter comes back with 2.2 on the reading.  

 

Any ideas what could be up ? Was all fine on old seats before fitting buckets ha 

 

any help appreciated thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RobPhoboS said:

Check YouTube as you'll need to pedal dance it to get it to sod off. (I had to, odb scanner couldn't) 

I’ve done the turn key on off scenario 5 times, I also put it into diagnosis mode and it came back with 1 long flash and 3 faster ones if that relates to a code ? 

 

Im going to pop to my mates garage this evening and hook it up to obd and see if comes up with a different code 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A long flash (3 seconds on) followed by 3 short (1/2 second) flashes in the diagnosis mode indicates a problem with the left hand seat belt pre-tensioner (per my USA service manual).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, karlh said:

A long flash (3 seconds on) followed by 3 short (1/2 second) flashes in the diagnosis mode indicates a problem with the left hand seat belt pre-tensioner (per my USA service manual).

 

I don’t run seat belts I’ve got harnesses so could that be why ? Do I need to put resistors in them too ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, .:Bullen:. said:

I don’t run seat belts I’ve got harnesses so could that be why ? Do I need to put resistors in them too ? 

When you say you don't run them, do you mean you simply don't fasten them, or have you completely removed the factory seat belts?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, karlh said:

When you say you don't run them, do you mean you simply don't fasten them, or have you completely removed the factory seat belts?

 

Completely removed factory belts, bases, seatbelts etc no trace of original left just the plugs on the loom that they would have plugged into remain 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, .:Bullen:. said:

Completely removed factory belts, bases, seatbelts etc no trace of original left just the plugs on the loom that they would have plugged into remain 

That's a situation I've never encountered before. A resistor will probably be necessary.  After a little searching online I found a couple of YouTube videos relating to pre-tensioner resistance (links below).  The consensus is 2 to 3 ohms, just like you fitted for your seats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2oM5mvEytk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2iqMqdbb5U

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, karlh said:

That's a situation I've never encountered before. A resistor will probably be necessary.  After a little searching online I found a couple of YouTube videos relating to pre-tensioner resistance (links below).  The consensus is 2 to 3 ohms, just like you fitted for your seats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2oM5mvEytk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2iqMqdbb5U

 

Ahh ok imagined probably would be the case after airbag resistor didn’t do it.  Don’t suppose you know the plug ? From memory theirs 3 plugs under my seat a yellow one (airbag) a small white one with 2 wires and a big fat one ha 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't believe the pre-tensioner connector is under the seat.  It connects directly to the seat belt retractor.  I've attached 2 extracts from my service manual.  Key areas are outlined in red.  The Seat Belt Pre-Tensioner Connector.pdf file shows how the body harness connects to the retractor and, on the second page, shows the connector in more detail.  The SRS Schematics.pdf file, fourth page, shows that the connectors are yellow with 2 pins each.

 

Seat Belt Pre-Tensioner Connector.pdf SRS Schematics.pdf

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, karlh said:

I don't believe the pre-tensioner connector is under the seat.  It connects directly to the seat belt retractor.  I've attached 2 extracts from my service manual.  Key areas are outlined in red.  The Seat Belt Pre-Tensioner Connector.pdf file shows how the body harness connects to the retractor and, on the second page, shows the connector in more detail.  The SRS Schematics.pdf file, fourth page, shows that the connectors are yellow with 2 pins each.

 

Seat Belt Pre-Tensioner Connector.pdf 284.2 kB · 1 download SRS Schematics.pdf 740.05 kB · 1 download

 

I’ve sorted it now, borrowed a snap on code reader & it flagged up left & right pre tensioners.  Stripped car out and soldered in a couple more resistors & hey presto the lights gone off, now just to see if I can re centre the steering wheel to get rid of the vdc esp lights Ha

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...