Brakes Upgrade

WoREoD

After my track day :p I felt it would be good to have the re-assurance of a basic upgrade to the braking system.

After reading various notes I'm planning:

a) Replace fluid with Motul

B) Replace pads, probably with Redstuff

I'm not intending to do anything other than road use (sometimes spirited!)

So, does this sound like a good plan? Or have I missed something obvious?

Cheers,

JohnK :teeth:

Bought through and fitted by RJN Motorsport, the parts were reasonably expensive but I wanted to buy Nismo as they were obviously developed with the Z in mind.

RJN were really helpful and knew their stuff, they have 350Z Cup and 350Z GT2 cars they are racing, so have gained a lot of knowledge from them to use on the roads cars (the cars were wicked; the GT2 had 500 NA bhp and carbon bodywork!!)

Anyway, literally on the drive home from buying the car a couple of months ago I knew I had to sort the brakes out; they were definitely strong, but had no real feel and were a bit spongy.

The brake lines on their own will make a lot of difference, but obviously the fluid will need to be bled to do this, so kill 2 birds with 1 stone and put some better fluid in. I used DOT-5 fluid for some Porsche (Brembo) callipers I put on a Golf, but the ‘Endless’ fluid is proper racing stuff as used on the RJN race cars.

And while you’re at in have some harder compound pads put in, the labour will be quite small and nothing if having the other work done.

It’s not worth upgrading the discs until they need replacing; upgrading discs is a bit of a black-art and very expensive. It wouldn’t hurt to upgrade them whist replacing, but not before that and when done use some proper grooved or drilled discs, from Brembo, AP or the like.

The big brake kits are unnecessary for even very fast road driving, the standard Z Brembos & discs, with the upgraded lines, fluid and pads are about right, any bigger callipers or harder pads will need to be very hot before they start to work so will actually perform worse around town

I had my Nismo exhaust fitted while I was there (also bought from them).

www.rjnmotorsport.com

thanks mate.

thorough review :)

Mind you, I want to do the pads myself :) seems easy enough ;)

WRT Nismo stuff developed with the Z in mind, I'm not that sure. Many Nismo items are actually rebadged items: a few examples

Nismo exhaust = Weldina

Nismo CAI = AEM intake

not to say it's not good stuff though ;):)

to have an idea, how much labout for the brkae pads, lines and bleeding?

Space,

You got exactly the same as me, and get the same result.

But not surprised as Bob (RJN) did mine back in Sept 2005.

Steve

PS John RJN is really close to you. Only 5 mins from Williams F1 at Grove.

Give them a call and you will even get to see their cars, worth a look.

• 2 weeks later...
Bloody hell and what’s with all the rust?

I had some Tarrox 40 groove discs ages ago that would rust everywhere.

Someone on another topic was swearing by DBA!?

My slotted Stoptech 2peice discs are rusty as hell too!

+1 on thinking DBA were pukka an' all that too!! :scare:

:scare:

You're so hardcore Val!! :p:teeth:

How many miles on those sh1ts??

Not good.

Thought the slotted discs were less prone to cracking!?

not mine! :bleh: I meant when I upgrade :)

I thought the slotted were less prone too, but not these apprently :)

• 3 weeks later...

looking at the pads still for mine, The rears don;t need doing but is there any real ill effect in using redstuff up front and standards on rear? Not upgrading lines yet due to funds (I'm tight) but the pads I am doing.

Do redstuff damage the discs? Or for road and occasional track would I be better going for greenstuff?

Also, what other cars use the same spec calipers/pads? I'm drawing a blank unless I use the web, ideally want to use a local shop - I believe the Skyline and a few others have like for like pads but which models?

Anyone able to supply the manufacturer codes for redtuff or ferodo etc as that could help too

Cheers all:yahoo: