new bike detail

Stew

Ok, so my new ZX6R arrives on Tuesday and I won't be riding it until it has been prepped and protected.

So, what should I do to it and what should I use?

I have a collection of good detailing products but can pop in past polished bliss to get anything else I need.

I'm asking on here as I know there are bikers and clean freaks. And biker clean freaks (Gixxer???? :p )

any decent car polish on anything you can access inc swingarm, fairings etc

plexus gives a B) shine on the fairings

if there is ANY salt on the road, i would wash it after every ride and wax the chain, castrol is good - less fling

i use poorboys wheel wax on the wheels, it makes life a lot easier to buy a rear paddock stand

if you get dead flies on the front just put a wet rag on them for 10 mins and they go "mushy" and clean off easy

DONT :lol: use tyre wall black on the tyres, i know someone who did and they fell off at the end of their drive :headhurt:

definitely wear ear plugs, it does feel strange the first few rides but you wont want ride without them after, 45 mins @ 80 mph will permanently damage your hearing (wind noise)

DONT :lol: use tyre wall black on the tyres, i know someone who did and they fell off at the end of their drive :headhurt:

definitely wear ear plugs, it does feel strange the first few rides but you wont want ride without them after, 45 mins @ 80 mph will permanently damage your hearing (wind noise)

+1 on both those points and :doh: to putting tyre black on your tyres. If you attempt that I will come up there and slap you myself for the stupidity!

AG EGP would be good on I bike I would guess, give it a nice seal to keep the crap off. Careful around the tank though, might make it slippy and ditto where your thighs meet the bike, wouldnt want to slip off :headhurt:

I have moulded earplugs as I've worked in the oil industry for a while and we're all safety conscious! I plan on wearing them as they are pretty comfortable.

Oh well, I'll work away with what I have then if there is no super special secret bike wax available! :lol:

I have moulded earplugs as I've worked in the oil industry for a while and we're all safety conscious! I plan on wearing them as they are pretty comfortable.

Oh well, I'll work away with what I have then if there is no super special secret bike wax available! :lol:

No not really, just try to avoid an aggressive cleaners they dry out bushes, the chain etc

plexus is good, as its a spray and is very easy to use, iirc it was designed for use by nasa and the aircraft industry

I'm sure I'll find a few neuks and crannies to get shred my hands on too!

I'm guessing I can use the pressure washer as long as I don't go near the cloks or anything?

Sorry I'm a total biker newbie and don't want to break it by being an idiot!

I'm sure I'll find a few neuks and crannies to get shred my hands on too!

I'm guessing I can use the pressure washer as long as I don't go near the cloks or anything?

Sorry I'm a total biker newbie and don't want to break it by being an idiot!

yeah no problem, just stand well back so you dont concentrate the pressure in one area, they are made to withstand the elements albeit not very well, if neglected they are reduced to a heap of rust and corrosion rapidly but i've never had a problem tbh

buy a tank pad, rear paddock stand and some bobbins to fit the stand to, chain wax

the best and easiest way to clean the wheels (esp the rear) is to use wd40 on a rag :thumbs: and then polish, otherwise the rear is a nightmare (you'll see what i mean)

like the car if you do it regular , its easy :thumbs:

i would buy some R&G crash bungs aswell, they are well worth the money ;)

I've got crash bungs, swing arm bobbins and front and rear paddock stand for it. Not sure if I'll ever use the front to be honest but we'll see.

I keep looking at tank pands but not sure what to get. I will get Castrol chain wax as recommended.

Should be ok with megs detailing shampoo (mild) and just using blackfire wax etc. I'll have to look at this plexus stuff. where do I get it from?

Might get some poorboys wheel sealer on the rims too.

Oh well I'll have a look there then.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to put it to good effect and make this new toy nice and shiney. Got the Zed to do too but weather will force that to wait!

Some good advice already. Must remember to wear ear plugs, got some but I always forgt to take them.

I use ACF50 for corrosion protection. I've just had some paintwork done on my R1 to get rid of stone chips, so I've put some Paintsheild paint protection film on the leading edge of the fairing. Just a 1 inch strip.

PM me if you want me to explain more.