Alloy Wheels GT4 repaint

WoREoD

I'm having my two nearside wheels refinished this week (I finally feel I know how wide this thing is now! :) )

Wheel man says the finish is painted with an "illusion" finish - something about black first then a semi-transparent silver, then the lacquer.

When I look at them the painting is now obvious but I'd never thought before about them being anything other than an lacquered alloy finish!

Anyway, are any of the other Nissan alloy wheels painted in this way?

Cheers

JohnK

p.s. I'll let you know the results of the job!

So how did they come out ?

Good match / finish ?

Who did you use and can you / they let me have the paint code(s)

Ian.

Ian, if you need repair (as I've been asking similar questions today) then 350Nismo just pointed me in the direction of this post....

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=367

Diamond wheels are in Stockport so not that far, they do a mobile service as well but suppose it depends how badly wheel is damaged or needs refurb etc....

Going to ring them to try to get a price for my Rays.

I've tried them already.............. and about 10 others.

NONE of them have done a GT4 wheel, no-one can get the paint codes.

Diamond are one of the ones who have said ..........

" We will have a go, but can't promise and exact match."

I think it would be better damaged than badly matched,

even if I get two wheels done on the same side of the car.

" I would like to pass my thanks onto the spanner monkey at Costco Haydock,

without whom the damage wouldn't have happend. "

I've tried them already.............. and about 10 others.

NONE of them have done a GT4 wheel, no-one can get the paint codes.

Diamond are one of the ones who have said ..........

" We will have a go, but can't promise and exact match."

I think it would be better damaged than badly matched,

even if I get two wheels done on the same side of the car.

" I would like to pass my thanks onto the spanner monkey at Costco Haydock,

without whom the damage wouldn't have happend. "

If the spanner monkey damaged the wheel then I would be getting a new wheel and billing them for it - why should you have to be out of pocket?? :rant:

If the spanner monkey damaged the wheel then I would be getting a new wheel and billing them for it - why should you have to be out of pocket?? :rant:

Yeah I'd be inclined to put on my biggest boots and give em a good kicking till they keeled over, but sure you've already tried? :rant::angry:

Yes I've tried.............. :rant:

At first they wouldn't admit liability, as it was dark when I got the car back, and covered in the white residue from fitting.

Spotted the damage on Sat AM and phoned them straight away.

After a few snotty phone calls and a letter ( copied into Head Office )

They have offered to pay for the repair as a gesture..........

( I think Jester would have been a better description )

The damage is not too bad, but I know its there,

but there is no way they will cough up £ 700 for a new wheel.

Once its done, I will continue to shop at Costco, but will park very near the tyre bay with a "polite notice" in the car window. ;)

Aye I can imagine how mad you must be! .....

I think thats why when I come to get tyres fitted, there will be digital photos taken just before to prove any damage etc...... Sad, I know.... but I'm not taking the chance anymore..... :dry:

Hope you get it sorted Ian.....

Anyway, have you introduced yourself in the welcome section? Get yourself down there and buy a drink for everyone :D

I take it you used to have a TT? You might see me around Warrington sometimes as the woman lives there..... ;)

So your GT4 black or yellow? :)

Mark

Hi. Wheels done by a local company called ScreenTech (or TrimTech, or DentTech or WheelTech - all the same org.). They're in Witney, W. Oxfordshire.

Dont know he got the colour match but he only sprayed the rims and the blend with the rest of the wheel looks fine to me. I'm well pleased.

I did notich he did a grey primer first, then a black base coat and then the translucent silver. He said it was the same finish as some Merc. Alloys but that many cars end up having them sprayed an ordinary silver because the job can be such a pig.

He also didn't even take the wheels off the car, let alone break the bead. Said the damage to the rim could be dealt with without it.

Took him 3 hours for the two wheels. :wacko:

I'm being very careful now B)

Cheers

JohnK

When I had my punctured tyre replaced at Kwik Fit I stood and watched the whole process and made it very clear that a Ray would cost £1,000 to replace through Nissan. The fitter was superb, she said if she damages the wheel she pay for it. No damage was caused but she really had difficulty doing the job and I suspect that if I wasn't so fastidious and oversaw their work they probably would have been damaged.

My advice to anybody replacing tyres is to go to a centre that is used to dealing with expensive wheels.

Have also seen a different machine used on wider alloy wheels. Instead of the bolt on to the machine and use a fancy crowbar. This machine did it all automatically. No crowbar across the rim so no contact against the alloy. This was at ATS.