Recent troubles with the Z

reeceybeaney

Slightly annoying incidents recently to track down the cause of some humming I was getting from the rear of the car. 

Instantly checked the wheel bearings and found the NSR was shot (lots and lots of play)... Following weekend got it all fixed, job done :thumbs:

Thought the humming would be all over, but nope... Around 35mph upwards there's still a hum/drone or whine going on from the rear somewhere! Absolutely clueless what it could be, prove me wrong please but I don't think diff bushings/fluid should have that much of an impact, so I'm lost :shrug:

Secondly I've noticed a slight knocking from the OSF which I've diagnosed as a tie rod, I can feel knocking going on when turning/rocking the steering  wheel left and right when I hold onto the rod so I would be looking for tie rod and track rod end! Any advice on where to go or fitting these? 

Thanks technical Z guys :)

PFA

IMG_20180923_103653.jpg

+1 on the tyre thing, especially if your wheel bearing was shot, it would mean the wheels weren't rotating properly. Its easy to check for flat spots though, you could even swap wheels left to right (if the tyres aren't rational fitting) and see if the noise swaps. Its really common with VAG cars to flat spot/step the rear tyres and sounds identical to a rough bearing. 

2 hours ago, Jay84 said:

Maybe get the balance checked, while it's on the balancer it'll be easy to see stepping. Alignment won't help if they're stepped though. 

That's upsetting ah! Well maybe get the rears on a balancer and see what the outcome is I suppose :shrug:

14 hours ago, reeceybeaney said:

Would the fix be to get an alignment or would it be beyond that point now? Really annoying because the tyres are barely worn in:headhurt:

This is how you get loads of 6mm part worns on eBay :dry: