Angling - teaching myself to fish

1stSop

I have decided I'd like a go at fishing (coarse) and was thinking of buying a cheap 'beginner's set' and just having a go. I expect there are some experienced anglers on here (?) so is it something you can just teach yourself do you think or is there something else I need to do before setting off for my nearest venue?

Thanks :) I haven't been on here for ages and I couldn't remember my password so have had to change my user name but I thought I might get a better response here than on the horse forums that I normally frequent!

Edited by 1stSop
  • Haha 1

I guess I was wrong, ha ha :p I've decided to ring my nearest fishing lake tomorrow and see if they know anyone who could give me a lesson. Not sure if fishing lessons are a 'thing' or not but I'll never know until I ask. 

18 hours ago, 1stSop said:

I have decided I'd like a go at fishing (coarse) and was thinking of buying a cheap 'beginner's set' and just having a go. I expect there are some experienced anglers on here (?) so is it something you can just teach yourself do you think or is there something else I need to do before setting off for my nearest venue?

Depends very much on what you want to do....specimen hunting like @Mopedmark for monsters, or just general pleasure angling for bits n bobs, and if a larger fish turns up, hang on and hope..

Firstly you will need a coarse fishing license...these are annual, 8 day or 1 day.....might be worth waiting until you decide to go before getting the annual....... also it would be wise not to invest in a load of stuff before going, cheap stuff is OK these days, as many years ago...Argos was you best bet for stuff and it was worse than useless......i get most of my tackle from Dragon carp direct now (part of sports direct) reasonably priced stuff...not the best in the world, but good enough

it helps if you have someone to take you for the fisrt time (although not necessary) to guide you about things such as line and hook size, type of baits, how to mount them, and even what type of fishing you want to do ( float and Ledger/feeder are the most common, with Pole more "match" focused)

If i was closer to you, i would gladly take you on a day pleasure fishing, as i have plenty of kit to set you up for the day. 

you are quite fortunate being in Lincolnshire, as there are plenty of day ticket venues around you (theres a good one up the A1 in Retford....have a look at Hallcroft fisheries .....not the chip shop though!!).

some of the larger commercial fisheries have beginners "have a go" days and you pay a fee, and they set you up with a simple setup to get you catching fish (it was "go fishing" day  a couple of weeks ago.)

let me know, or PM me if you want any more help

Edited by Paul K
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Jetpilot said:

Seems to be quite a few angling programmes on tv these days, you could probably learn a lot of tips from them imho.

Thank you :) It was watching Bob and Paul Go Fishing or whatever it was called that piqued my interest actually. Although, and this makes my husband roll his eyes, my favourite angler is Chris Yates and I have watched 'A Passion for Angling' over and over. Sadly it was on video (I am elderly!!) and I think you can get it on CD now but it's really expensive so I can't justify it.

6 hours ago, Paul K said:

Depends very much on what you want to do....specimen hunting like @Mopedmark for monsters, or just general pleasure angling for bits n bobs, and if a larger fish turns up, hang on and hope..

Firstly you will need a coarse fishing license...these are annual, 8 day or 1 day.....might be worth waiting until you decide to go before getting the annual....... also it would be wise not to invest in a load of stuff before going, cheap stuff is OK these days, as many years ago...Argos was you best bet for stuff and it was worse than useless......i get most of my tackle from Dragon carp direct now (part of sports direct) reasonably priced stuff...not the best in the world, but good enough

it helps if you have someone to take you for the fisrt time (although not necessary) to guide you about things such as line and hook size, type of baits, how to mount them, and even what type of fishing you want to do ( float and Ledger/feeder are the most common, with Pole more "match" focused)

If i was closer to you, i would gladly take you on a day pleasure fishing, as i have plenty of kit to set you up for the day. 

you are quite fortunate being in Lincolnshire, as there are plenty of day ticket venues around you (theres a good one up the A1 in Retford....have a look at Hallcroft fisheries .....not the chip shop though!!).

some of the larger commercial fisheries have beginners "have a go" days and you pay a fee, and they set you up with a simple setup to get you catching fish (it was "go fishing" day  a couple of weeks ago.)

let me know, or PM me if you want any more help

Thank you very much Paul K :) I wish I knew someone local to go with for my first attempt but I'm sure I'll work it out eventually after a few more YouTube tutorials etc. My horses are my main passion (I've got four) so fishing would just be an occasional pastime for me at most and I don't actually know if I will enjoy it but I would like to see what fish are actually in a lake, assuming I can catch any!! I want to fish with a float and although monster carp are very impressive I'm not attracted to that sort of fishing myself. I do love looking at photos of the massive carp that people have caught though so kind of get the appeal of fishing for them. I might PM you once I've decided what rod etc I am going to buy. It will be very cheap and I will just get a day license to start with. Thanks for your help.

6 hours ago, Paul K said:

Thanks very much Paul :) Struggling with internet connection at moment and using my phone as hot spot whilst waiting for new router to arrive  so will reply properly when it gets here and I can stay online reliably!