Anyone Service Roofs?

Stevie-Boy

My darling Z roadster has a little issue with the roof that needs some attention. I am wondering if anyone on here (NW area preferable) does some sort of roadster roof health care checks and can diagnose/fix?

It started where the roof would go to this position and stop, this is when opening. This isn't my car, just pointing to another picture of the same problem:

415230d1501884683-convertible-top-proble

https://my350z.com/forum/attachments/350z-roadster/415230d1501884683-convertible-top-problem-photo.jpg

I could put the roof back up a little and then it would go past this point after 1 or 2 tries. I tried the roof again today and it won't go beyond this point at all. I've done some research and it goes anywhere from because it's cold to the 5th bow motor is ballsed. This part seems to be the reason for most of the roof issues. I've read about two elastic doodahs that go somewhere too that can be a cause. No idea where these items are on the car.

I must be honest, I'm not one for messing about playing with electronics but I'm also not one for just putting something like this into the dealer and giving them carte blanche on it. Somewhere in between would be lovely.

Would love to get this fixed as I don't like letting a bit of cold stop my roof down action.

Edited by Stevie-Boy

This is the time of year when most roof issues get reported.

There is a temperature operation restriction on the roofs and I have found with the OEM material that any attempted operation below 5 degrees C may result in damage to the fabric and the operation mechanism.

It is just a rough temperature guide, the handbook will be more specific.

Basically, the canvas loses its flexibility when cold and the roof mechanism cannot cope.

If you leave the car with the heater on for about 30 minutes then that may help, but a word of warning, DO NOT manually attempt to operate the roof.

OK thank you. I'll wait until the temp hits double degrees again and try it then.

If anyone does happen to service roofs and sees this, I'd still be interested. Wouldn't do any harm to have someone go through all the components and just make sure it's healthy for the next year :)

• 4 months later...