Ball joint dust cover advisory

Redki

Hi guys,

My Fairlady Z is coming up for it's MOT next month, and I'm looking for bit of help on one of the advisories from last year. I really should have sorted this earlier, but with life being what it is...

Anyway, the advisory was "Nearside Front Lower Front suspension ball joint dust cover damaged, but preventing the ingress of dirt outboard formost (2.4.G.2)"

I was told at the time that we're talking £350 to replace the whole ball joint, but this seems like overkill to me when it's just a little bit of rubber that's split.

Does anyone know if it's possible to replace just the dust cover? Or failing that, would a little bit of glue be a terrible idea?!

Grateful for any advice :) 

Clean up, inject some fresh grease and glue and you will be fine.

However the ball joint can be replaced including a new rubber boot at circa £50.00

In stock and good to go same next day.

Just drop me a PM if you wish to go that route.

Alex.

• Like 1

That's awesome, thanks mate. They must have been having a laugh when they told me £350 then.

I think I'll try gluing it first off, but might be in touch soon to replace if it goes awry!

Thanks again for the help :)

I had my front right balljoint sorted by my local garage, had a split in it and was slightly leaking so they used some black silicone sealant and its held so far, no signs of stress. Only about 1200 miles though so cant say how it will do in the very long run.