Any programmers out there?

Flex

I've wanted to learn for a while so ordered a book on Python for beginners.

Initially just want to use it for my business to cut down on routine stuff and make life simpler/save time but longer term hopefully develop some simple stuff I can roll out to potential customers but that's pie in the sky at the moment.

It's a bit weird really as when I speak to programming friends about what they recommend they don't really go out of their way to discuss it, almost as if they are trying to hide something. Weird.

Anyway going to see how I get on, something a bit different.

That's strange. Most of the web devs I work with enjoy talking about what their up to and any new technologies their leveraging.

Thinking back, one company I worked at used a raspberry pi to run some bespoke till software. Can't remember though if that was written in python or in PHP and run on a local server.

Most languages I come across have methodologies that are interchangeable though. Good luck, let us know how you get on.

I'm involved with Computer Science research so have a wide range of experience with programming. Due to the nature of my work I more have a shallow knowledge of a wide range of languages/technologies rather than deep expertise in one but if I can be of any help ask away.

I've only done one project in Python, it was making an indoor localisation system that would map an indoor area and report the users location from the WiFi signal strength on their phone. I'd probably recommend going with Python 2 to start with, even thought Python 3 is newer, as there will be a larger support base, external libraries etc. available. (Although if the book you've ordered is for Python 3 I'd just go on ahead with that as it's not a big deal really)

Edited by Colin747

I think everyone should try a bit of coding, in my experience most people get a bit of a kick out of it.

I've been a developer for nearly 20 years, most of that as a senior/team lead. Almost entirely using Microsoft IDEs... and the ubiquitous HTML/CSS/Javascript obviously. Never tried Python though.