350 threw a wobbler today.

Zeezeebaba

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar thing happen.

Car started fine today and I went to reverse up my drive which is on a slight gradient. For the first time in three years I stalled it! It was quite a jarring stall in reverse. So handbrake reapplied and I went to start it again and it fired up but was lumpy, like it was firing on 5 not 6.

I gave the throttle a little blip and all was well. After about two miles of driving the car started doing it again juddering and kangarooing down the road.

Not wanting to bugger it completely I pulled over and called the AA. I was thinking maybe a coil pack had gone but no EML at all.

About two hours later Mr AA turned up and predictably the car ran fine, lovely smooth tick over as normal all cylinders firing etc. I then took it for a five mile run with the AA in tow just in case.

Nothing happened and I drove home with no issues, in fact it felt better than before!

The only thing I can think of is maybe moisture in a coil pack or dodgy fuel. The only other point of note is when I checked the air box the filter (HKS) didn't look snug and there was evidence of debris engine side of it.

Having heard a few negative comments on HKS I've put a nice clean standard filter back in just in case something had bypassed it and caused the issue.

As for water in a coil pack I did wash it yesterday but didn't deviate from my normal routine and water goes nowhere near the block.

Faith in the car is dented a little so if anyone has experienced a similar thing I would appreciate some input please.

Sounds like a coil pack breaking down. I had 4-6 months of "intermittent misfire" which wasn't flagged as a EML issue, i.e. Light on, but was stored in the history of logged faults. Then one day car was lumpy as you point out, stopped the car restarted and all fine. Finally the offending coil pack will eventually totally stop working.

Get a code reader on to see if there are any logs. I got hold of a low mileage coil pack for cheap and sorted the problem. It's finding the offending coil pack unless logged as Cylinder 1,2,3 etc....

• Like 1

The trouble is a failing coil can be rubbish for a while (especially in traffic when it's hot) but can get a second wind and work faultlessly for months. And if it does misfire the code reader never seems to identify which one it is. Freezer spray seems to be the best way to find the faulty one.

But they tend to fail under heat but yours was lumpy from a cold start - suggests something else.

Coilpacks is a decent shout. Did you scrape the bottom of the tank recently? I.E. Run it almost totally empty? Got some crap in an injector from the bottom of the tank? Bad fuel is a good call too, spark is easy to check as well. Fingers crossed for you.

By the way, my car works well with the cheap ebay VGate wifi ODB reader and Torque Pro for android. Cheap and invaluable tool.

Edited by Aashenfox

Well I've run it again today and all fine so far. I don't usually run the car below half a tank fuel wise. Plenum bolts needed a tighten and I've replaced the HKS filter for a new OEM paper job. Some moisture had bypassed the HKS filter but it's unlikely that caused the issue. More than likely a fuelling/spark issue so I will replace the coil packs just in case.

She's in for coilovers next month at Hdev so they will investigate further.