Brake Disc Colouring??

c1624800

Hello Everybody, just got my 07 350Z and i think i have damaged some facial muscles :teeth:

However, in my newbie and over protective emotional state I am concerned today about a strange yellow covering that has coated all off my right hand disc brakes, but not the left hand side ones (they still gleaming). It dosn't rub off by hand and it was not there at all yesterday???

I must admit that yesterday was spent testing the cars.....limits?!?! but why has this happened or what is it??

Thanks

drive it, it will probably disappear, maybe on one side due to wind direction - temperature that side ?

discs discolour due to oxidation very quickly, usually more noticable after you have washed the car, you may have scorched the discs but one side is unusual

Maybe normal discoulouring of the disk due to elevated temperature, but if you didnt get them to go blue you are a wuss.... :p

See note:

Temper colours formed on a cleaned surface are still used occasionally as a guide to temperature. They exist due to the interference effects of thin films of oxide formed during tempering, and they act similarly to oil films on water. Alloys such as stainless steel form thinner films than do carbon steels for a given temperature and hence produce a colour lower in the series. For example, pale straw corresponds to 300°C, instead of 230°C (Table 1).

Table 1.

Temper Colour Temperature °C

Objects

Pale straw 230 Planing and slotting tools

Dark straw 240 Milling cutters, drills

Brown 250 Taps, shear blades for metals

Brownish-purple 260 Punches, cups, snaps, twist drills, reamers

Purple 270 Press tools, axes

Dark purple 280 Cold chisels, setts for steel

Blue 300 Saws for wood, springs

Blue 450-650 Toughening for constructional steels

However, it should be similar on both sides!!! Were you just hooning laps round roundabouts with the traction on? :teeth:

oh.... and welcome!

There was many a roundabout carefully approached yesterday :teeth:

Come to think about it the wind was crashing onto the right side of the car when i parked her up, which may explain anything to do with one side cooling faster than the other?!?!?

Must admit, turned the traction control off once and went in circles.... not to keen to try it again without lots and lots of room....first rear wheel drive car, must become one with it....any tips

....any tips

get yourself on a training day, http://www.carlimits.com (or similar) Andy will teach you how to drive it like you stole it and may even save your life. Plus you get to try all the things you want in an environment where there is nothing to hit!

Quite a few on here have been on a day with Andy and I'm sure would recommend it.

Quite a way for you though from Plymouth..... nice run for the car :teeth:

Cheers will look into that one, do you know of any closer to Plymouth???? If not then I nice drive it is then:)

cheers everybody again, took it out for a wee drive tonight and it all seems fine - even in heavy thunder storms. After a drive and some braking the yellow discs are no more, really must have been the way the car was sitting last night...... must stop worrying so much