Urgent! advice on rear click please....

z350convert

Imminent journey due, around 1000 miles all up.

My 2003z is making a "slight" clicky noise when backing up or shuffling forward. Have noticed it when window is down now weather is better, although I've been aware of it for a year or so and it hasn't got any worse. I suspect UJ wear unless you have better ideas.

No time to do anything about it right now. So should I take the car on trip and sort it on return or take the other car which is of similar age with its own little quirks.

What I'm saying I suppose is, do they go bad suddenly. I drive quickly but I'm always gentle with the transmission, its old after all. Comments will help me decide.

Thanks very much.

Yes, I've read that thread before. Based on that and the fact it may not even be the UJs I think I'll take it on the trip and if it conks out and wife gives me hell (everything is my fault anyway) I'm going to blame the forum.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Get it up on some axle stands when you have a free morning and give the fix a go! You'll be surprised how easy it is and you don't need many tools, took me about 2 hours to do both sides with a few cuppas in between too! A month gone by and still click free :)

• 2 months later...

Just for the record, I have now done the click fix and the noise has gone.

Encouraged by reports it could take 45 minutes to an hour per side I set too and 5 hours later, lying in a bath soaking aching muscles and grazes I thought at nearly 71 it was maybe not such a good idea. Plus, there was still the other side to do!

Axle stands are essential, or better still a pit or a lift. I only had a couple of jacks. Good idea to have an assistant so you don't have to keep getting out from underneath. The axles are heavy so again, not such a good idea after major heart surgery but I'm still here.

The axle nut is easy to get off but the torque needed to secure it was beyond my wrench so had to enlist Kwik Fit to give the final tweaks.

I cleaned all rust off the axle and the hub and used a heavy marine grease on the splines and and packed some Moly CV grease inside the CV joints. Nissan said don't worry about changing the bolts to the diff but I torqued them up carefully. Cotter pins on the axle were renewed but the old ones had been used before and were broken.

All in all I'm still not sure why this cure seems to work as the splines don't move anyway. I wonder if its just the tightening up of the axle nut that stops the click.

Other side done now in under 3.5 hours including a little sleep under the car.