Mk1 Nismo - keep forever?

WINKJ

The time is fast approaching where I need to make the decision as to whether to upgrade/downgrade the Nismo and give her back. However I love the car (contrary to many peoples opinions :lol:) and have decided to pay it off as I would like to keep it for a summer car, declare off the road over winter etc. I'd then start again with a new car, something as interesting but with more MPG for commuting.

Few questions:

1. Is it a massive pain to declare a car off the road for the winter and then re-register in the summer?

2. What's the chance of the value flattening out if I don't pile miles onto the clock (obviously this is very subject to peoples opinions).

3. If I started the car every couple of weeks to let the engine turn over for 5 minutes would that be sufficient? The car would remain on a trickle charge over winter.

Cheers

James

1. It is over here, can't speak for the UK. Here we have to turn up in person at the ministry of transport and actually hand them the physical plates, it's a right faff.

2. Dunno

3. If a car isn't driven 'around' the rubber and plastic parts perish (stock bushings, for example, but not poly) more quickly. Also, if it's not revved a bit, the engine will coke up (not really an issue though). The fuel will turn to varnish over a period of 1 to 5 years depending on climate, temperature and other factors. This will deposit gum in the bottom of the tank which may end up in the fuel system causing major clogging, but will CERTAINLY ruin the fuel tank floaters which are sensitive at the best of times. Operate the clutch and brakes LIBERALLY every time you go out to start it, and change the brake fluid at the same intervals as if the car was on the road (or doubly LESS often if you are not actually driving it 'at all' and therefore don't need to be able to repy on the brakes). At least roll it back and forth to work the wheel bearings if you don't actually move it under its own power. You want to get the car up to temperature on each start to work the thermostat, as well as the various pumps, fans and valves of the cooling system. Lock to lock the steering to work the pump and rack...Basically, try to give as much of the car a proper workout similar to what it would get on the road, wherever you can, otherwise things perish and sieze. There's a reason why most adverts saying 'car unmoved for several years' are on the cheap side, rather then the 'perfectly preserved' side. ;)

EDIT: Oh, crap, I did it again, I assumed a 370Z owner was talking about a 350Z, my bad. Still, most of that is still valid. :lol:

Edited by Aashenfox
  • Like 1

Does this mean you'll starting and stopping insurance all the time? Road tax isn't that much anyways, so I couldn't be bothered

I daily drive all my cars, it won't rust in the time I have it/come to sell it so who cares.

My 350z saw rain, snow, ice, thunderstorms - you name it, it had it. Only rust was on rock chips here n there before I touched them up - not bad for a 10 year old car with near 60k on the clock!

I dont understand why you would want to, you will still have to keep up insurance in the event it may get stolen/damaged so the only saving you will make is ved, i just wouldnt bother and take it out once a month for a spin a nice dry day, its never going to be a classic imho, so mileage is irrelevant.

• Like 1

I dont understand why you would want to, you will still have to keep up insurance in the event it may get stolen/damaged so the only saving you will make is ved, i just wouldnt bother and take it out once a month for a spin a nice dry day, its never going to be a classic imho, so mileage is irrelevant.

based upon the responses and thinking about it a bit more I think i'll keep it insured etc and run it out every few weeks to keep it in a good working condition. I

I wont be keeping the car on the premise that it may be a classic one day and be worth what I paid for it originally.. so not a big issue, but i wont be putting big miles on it.