Y-Pipe Fraying

jackvyal

Hey everyone!

I hope you're all enjoying the Bank Holiday weekend.

I went for a drive today around Box Hill and on my return I noticed my exhaust note was a bit different, less bassy with a bit of a rattle.

I looked under the car and saw the braids on the flex joints were quite badly frayed (see images).

Do you guys reckon this is a serious issue?

Car is a 2004 DE with no mods.

I really appreciate the help.

Jack

post-28822-0-40413300-1496080699_thumb.jpg

post-28822-0-93760000-1496080699_thumb.jpg

Ok so I had another look and couldn't seem to find anything other than the flexis. Went for another quick drive, and maybe rattling was the wrong word.

It sounds quite a bit louder with a buzzing to it. It sounds like a different exhaust, like it's been modded

Any other ideas?

Edited by jackvyal

I had like a tapping/rattling noise when accelerating hard, I was sure it couldn't be the exhaust and I looked into loads of things. In the end I knew the flexi was on its way out as it was an mot advisory so I changed it for a scorpion. Been fine ever since. It may look like that at the bottom of the flexi but what's the top gonna be like?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

My old flexi looked similar and happily passed MOT's however eventually other parts of the exhaust started to blow and that was that. I never noticed a note change, soemtimes with the windows down at low speed you hear an almost "tinkling" which i put down to the braiding

Your flexi are on the way out.

I had the same thing, like a "chuffing" or "rattling" noise from the underside of the car on gentle lift of and engine run down. Dont worry about it for now but start saving for a new y pipe (or replacement flexi's)