Thermostatitac (ly useless) valve

MDMetal

HI, (again) Sorting out my oil leak so I took my sandwich plate off to give it a clean up and reseat it nicely, I looked at the valve, is it me or is this not how it should be? The valve doesn't actually block any of the outlet/inlet ports to the intercooler, I thought the whole point was that at cold the intercooler bas basically disabled by blocking a port and stopping a loop from forming, once hot enough the valve flicks back to allow circulation.

As you can see (hopefully) my valve is a good 5-10mm away from the point it's meant to be blocking. Is this normal? Feels like the plate and valve are mismatched!

qlV2LrI.jpg

98MAfuN.jpg

Yeah I would think it would use constant (but restricted flow) to maintain a consistent oil temp ? Otherwise you would have 2 different viscosity's of the same oil.

Is it definitely thermostatic and not just a regulator valve, adjusted as desired ?

Thermostatic take off plates are made to allow a certain amount of oil bypass to prevent thermal shock when the preset temp is reached and the valve opens up completely, its not about viscosity, however that one looks like its open quite a way, so is likely to keep the oil a little too cool in winter, what is your normal oil temp?

Edited by Tricky-Ricky