JDM auto trans problems

Sterally

Hi all,

I'm after some advise. I have an 03 import 350z with auto transmission.

The problem is when pulling up to a junction, then pulling off, the trans slips in 1st gear on occasions, it happens 2 out of 10 times.

The second issue I have is after 60mph the car vibrates terribly, the steering wheel doesn't shake just the rest of the car lol.

I know it's not good for the trans, but just to check i put the car from drive to neutral for a couple of seconds while driving and it feels the same - no difference. Anyone have any ideas what this could be? Tyres? Suspension? Driveshafts? Torque converter?

Your time is much appreciated! ðŸ‘

Anyone have any ideas what this could be? Tyres? Suspension? Driveshafts? Torque converter?

! 👊

yes

No easy answer this could be any of the above or something else altogether , need to be methodical and check each component in turn.

Just checked the trans fluid and it's quite dirty, think I'll start with a atf change.

The car has been sitting for about 3 years and I'm using the same tyres - flat spot in the tyre possibly!?

With the car vibrating... so you've replaced the tyres, had them balanced and it's still vibrating? Does it feel like it's on rotation of the wheels, or does it match your engine revs?

If on rotation of the wheels and you've already done they tyres then have you had a look at the brakes, and could the pads be catching on the discs? Does one wheel feel hotter than the others after driving, which would indicate a brake catching etc?

I've had the tyres balanced and a wheel alignment and put new pads on this morning - still no different!!!

the vibration doesn't feel like it's through the steering wheel either but thought I'd start at the first contact with the ground.

Calipers feel equally warm.

It also happens when coasting at 60.

This one has got me stumped!

It drives great with loads of power up to 60 but the vibration forces me to ease off.

It's still there in neutral richf,

The more I think about it the more Its pointing to the prop shaft being out of balance because it's happening at speed that might be my next port of call.

I should add the slipping has stopped since topping up the ATF, and the car drives and accelerates as it should up to 60. 🤔

Thats a plus then on the 'box , iirc a new prop shaft is about £1300 from Nissan :scare:. If there is play in the joints you might be able to feel that if you drop it off, is there any damage to the outside carbon ?

Might be worth checking that the auto and manual are the same length if you buy a used one

Thanks for the info mate

Just to update incase anyone gets a similar issue, I took the prop off and had it rebalanced in a local machine shop

car now runs bang on!! No vibration. woohoo!

Chuffed now 😊

• Like 1