Max Sidelight Length?

Strudul

One of my sidelights has stopped working, so I'm looking for some replacements.

Currently using some 15 SMD LED ones (see below), but they were a pain to install due to being very long and requiring removal of the headlight assembly and therefore front bumper.

To save hassle, I'd like some that can be swapped out through the wheel arch, but not sure which would be short enough.

Can anyone recommend some short ones that'll do the job? Ideally bright white and with no polarity.

Cheers

74248dc8ce4cb6a3859afc7d75aabf73.png

Edited by Strudul

I've got those. It was a fiddle but got them fitted in situ without bumper removal. Didn't even need to put on a ramp. The issue with the shorter ones is they don't have a cambus (or something) so flicker. I found i easier to unplug the wire, fit the bulb then reconnect wire. Standard 501s fit too... :p

Any LED bulb will have to be fitted with the correct polarity I think?

I've had many in the past but found they all last about a month before they start flickering, stumped up about £15 in the end and bought some proper RING 501 shaped LED's. Had no problems with them so far.

I've had many in the past but found they all last about a month before they start flickering, stumped up about £15 in the end and bought some proper RING 501 shaped LED's. Had no problems with them so far.

All normal LED's are polarity sensitive yes, ....BUT a company has designed new LED's which aren't polarity sensitive.

Just Googled it and the company is Truck-Lite.

I totally agree with you 88 Zed as buying quality LED's in the first place will save you a load of hassle. I went through two sets in under a year before I finally got a decent set which seemed to last better. I believe Phillips 501 LED's are excellent quality around the £15 mark (not too big either).

• Like 1

All normal LED's are polarity sensitive yes, ....BUT a company has designed new LED's which aren't polarity sensitive.

Just Googled it and the company is Truck-Lite.

I totally agree with you 88 Zed as buying quality LED's in the first place will save you a load of hassle. I went through two sets in under a year before I finally got a decent set which seemed to last better. I believe Phillips 501 LED's are excellent quality around the £15 mark (not too big either).

Really? I wonder how they managed that? And yea you get what you pay for really, you can get 5 for a few £ on eBay but they will more than likely turn out to be crap soldered together by a 7 year old haha

Really? I wonder how they managed that? And yea you get what you pay for really, you can get 5 for a few £ on eBay but they will more than likely turn out to be crap soldered together by a 7 year old haha

No idea and I did look but couldn't find the answer. :dry: All they say is...

By nature, LED lights are polarity-sensitive. If the voltage is of the wrong polarity, it is said to be reverse-biased. Very little current will flow, and the device will not light up. Truck-Lite has developed LED lights that are not polarity-sensitive.

Source: https://www.truck-lite.com/content/faq/are-your-led-lights-polarity-sensitive

I guess they want to keep that secret to themselves for now. ;)

• Like 1

Polarity...

It's not magic (at least no more than electronics already is...)

They just use a simple bridge rectifier circuit. My current set have "no" polarity and many others do too, including cheap ebay ones.

Polarity...

It's not magic (at least no more than electronics already is...)

They just use a simple bridge rectifier circuit. My current set have "no" polarity and many others do too, including cheap ebay ones.

So there is just another component soldered into the unit?