Loss of power + cam sensor error but just replaced

craigmdennis

Afternoon all,

I randomly had an engine warning light on a couple of months ago, bought a cheap reader and it listed 1078 as the fault code. I found (on this forum) that it was related to the cam sensor on bank 1. It turns out it was a connector issue to the sensor (one of the pins had come loose). I bought new sensors anyway and replaced them before I realised the connector pin was the issue.

The engine light went out and all was well for a few weeks, until... I was driving on the motorway and the whole car lost power. The dash lit up with the engine warning light and the ESP TC lights on.

Now the error code shows as 0340 which is identified as 'Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit (Bank 1 or Single Sensor).'

After much head scratching, I took it to Nissan for a diagnostic. They guess it's the timing chain (a post on here say that's not likely to be the case) and want £600 to just confirm whether that's true! I have no intention of getting them to do any work beyond diagnostics.

Can anyone:

a ) shed light on what the cause might be? One post suggests it could be the coil pack or flywheel

b ) recommend a Z-friendly garage in Kent that I can get to take a look?

Any help would be appreciated

Edited by craigmdennis

Did you fit genuine Nissan cam sensors ?

I don't think they were, my Dad ordered them for me.

I think it was one of these (remember him briefly showing me)

Would that actually make a difference?

Other members have had issues with after market CPSs

Well best to rule that out first before I have to spend £££

• 2 weeks later...

TL;DR it was the cheap sensor from eBay that failed within 2 weeks.

Swapped it out with a genuine sensor and all is running well again.

Often the simplest explanation is the right one.

My biggest concern is that Nissan didn't even bother to check the integrity of the sensor. I specifically told them that I'd replaced the sensors but wasn't sure that they were the cause. They instead took this to mean I was 100% sure it wasn't the cause; maybe some miscommunication on my part.

Either way, sorted now!

Thanks