350GT door lock/key/mechanism

bexxxhill

My 350GT has decided that its door lock doesn't want to function anymore - key turns but doesn't do anything. I have been using the key for last few months as the ever dependable actuators stopped too.

So does anyone have a GT they are breaking, with the lock, and actuators for sale? (Obv the actuators need to work lol)

I know these cars a somewhat rarer in the UK but someone must know of one being broken? I've tried over on the SOF but no joy there as yet.

All help appreciated, Nick

I also believe they are the same. If you look on youtube for 350Z or G35 door actuator DIYs, you'll find at least two that I can think of. I saw them recently cos I also have a broken actuator on my driver's door. Both DIYs that I've seen were performed on a G35 and advertised as being valid also for the 350z.

If I were you I would use the site everythingnissan.com to confirm that the part numbers are the same on original equipment, then when you've confirmed that, drop Jon@Emporer or ZMANALEX a PM with what you need, they will have it in stock. I have a door actuator from Jon sitting in my boot, waiting for me to go get my diff fitted and this done at the same time.

Edited by Aashenfox
  • Like 2

I also believe they are the same. If you look on youtube for 350Z or G35 door actuator DIYs, you'll find at least two that I can think of. I saw them recently cos I also have a broken actuator on my driver's door. Both DIYs that I've seen were performed on a G35 and advertised as being valid also for the 350z.

If I were you I would use the site everythingnissan.com to confirm that the part numbers are the same on original equipment, then when you've confirmed that, drop Jon@Emporer or ZMANALEX a PM with what you need, they will have it in stock. I have a door actuator from Jon sitting in my boot, waiting for me to go get my diff fitted and this done at the same time.

Excellent, thanks for this.

I know there is a DIY replacement that involves using a generic actuator but if I can replace the genuine part with OEM I would rather do that, and if a Z one will fit the GT then that is easily sorted :)

Now to find a door lock and I will be even happier :)

I know there is a DIY replacement that involves using a generic actuator but if I can replace the genuine part with OEM I would rather do that, and if a Z one will fit the GT then that is easily sorted :)

I'm not aware of any 'universal' actuator myself, the DIYs I refer above are both using original (albeit second hand) Nissan parts. I'm sure the door parts are the same between G35 and 350Z. :thumbs:

Nick, I forgot about the aftermarket door actuator for the G35 and the kits are cheap as chips from USA @ about $10

There are plenty videos for this on youtube and looks very straight forward and only requires the door card removed and a few extra holes drilled and a couple of wires snipped, extended and re-routed.

However you will still require the lock and barrel in your instance.

Nick, I forgot about the aftermarket door actuator for the G35 and the kits are cheap as chips from USA @ about $10

There are plenty videos for this on youtube and looks very straight forward and only requires the door card removed and a few extra holes drilled and a couple of wires snipped, extended and re-routed.

However you will still require the lock and barrel in your instance.

As I am taking the door apart anyway, to sort the lock, I may as well replace the actuators rather than a DIY fix - (I have seen the videos on the generic aftermarket replacements). I mat replace the window motor too as I know they are a weak spot.

I think it is going to be finding a lock/key that will be the hard part.

... rather than a DIY fix - (I have seen the videos on the generic aftermarket replacements)...

Mate, I still don't know what you mean by 'rather than a DIY fix'...the DIYs I'm talking about are video tutorials how to change the door mechanism using genuine replacement nissan parts, nothing to do with universal parts or some cheap half-the-job fix... The proper job, with the proper parts, just so there's no confusion... I'll link them if you like, cos I have the distinct impression that you think I mean something else, or you're looking at something else ;)

P.S. If you change the lock barrel, Aren't you going to need both sides and ignition barrel too? What;s wrong with your lock barrel? I doubt you'll need to change that or that it cannot be somehow transplanted in the new door lock mech, but that's an assumption, I haven't tried.

Edited by Aashenfox

... rather than a DIY fix - (I have seen the videos on the generic aftermarket replacements)...

Mate, I still don't know what you mean by 'rather than a DIY fix'...the DIYs I'm talking about are video tutorials how to change the door mechanism using genuine replacement nissan parts, nothing to do with universal parts or some cheap half-the-job fix... The proper job, with the proper parts, just so there's no confusion... I'll link them if you like, cos I have the distinct impression that you think I mean something else, or you're looking at something else ;)

P.S. If you change the lock barrel, Aren't you going to need both sides and ignition barrel too? What;s wrong with your lock barrel? I doubt you'll need to change that or that it cannot be somehow transplanted in the new door lock mech, but that's an assumption, I haven't tried.

If you could link the videos that would be great, thanks.

I do need the door lock barrel, as when I put the key in it, it just turns without locking/unlocking the door; i think, the internals are no good now. I can change the lock and leave the ignition, surely? Just means two different keys :)