SAT NAV

SC350ZGT

Must be something in the air today..... :help:

Don't have satnav, but thinking of getting it fitted. Can anyone help!

1. Does the Birdview system include dvd system?

2. Anyone got any other recommendations that keep the door swinging over?

3. Anybody have birdview fitted after purchase, and how much for system/fitting etc.

Appreciate your comments :thumbs:

A few weeks ago I inquired through my local Nissan garage about getting the official Sat Nav installed.

They quotted me somewhere around £2000 pounds all in. :thumbdown:

For the parts alone it was about £950 from memory, then there is the cost of fitting, the DVD software, and a couple of other bits that they mentioned.

The dealer was very helpful but recomend that I just go for a TOM TOM unit, saying the Birdview wasn't that great and I would need an extra speaker for the sound (apparently you cant have it going through the stereo if you fit it after the factory, dont know if that's true).

Im sure the price will vary depending on dealership, but I seriously don't think it is worth getting the factory one, esspecially now there are so many good aftermarket ones out there. IMO.

Must be something in the air today..... :help:

Don't have satnav, but thinking of getting it fitted. Can anyone help!

1. Does the Birdview system include dvd system?

2. Anyone got any other recommendations that keep the door swinging over?

3. Anybody have birdview fitted after purchase, and how much for system/fitting etc.

Appreciate your comments :thumbs:

B) we have one unit left in reading will fit complete for £1550

DVD version is factory fit only on the GT on the MY06 - so if someone is offering to sell you one, it'll be the old system.

I didn't bother as it's way too expensive and in a year it'll be out of date in terms of technology.

Would much rather have the new TomTom that can provide you with speedtrap information etc...

DVD version is factory fit only on the GT on the MY06 - so if someone is offering to sell you one, it'll be the old system.

? B) where did you get that info from?

B) dvd sat bird veiw is a £1200 factory option now, before was dealer fit at about £1600, new version is 05/06 birdveiw which is the same as in pathfinder/ navara. very good system with traffic updates, not post code though, or speed cameras. flap not on centre area now as permanant screen, the whole centre area looks so much better now. interior door panels alot better. dvd player in one of the smaller storage areas behind driver. on whole i think the new version is a good update, will go down well.

Tom Tom beats all the built in systems for functionality. You can get a hard wire kit and I'm pretty sure you can integrate it with the bose for stereo mute. Mine integrates with my Bluetooth on my phone perfectly and I can take it out for the wife to use when she needs it.

i've got a 06 on order for may but sat nav was just never a thought. my dealer agreed when i thought that a 1200 quid factory fit was a lot when you can get a road angel navigator for 600 notes. it just doens't make sense right now. i know VW have started to give away tom toms but eventually car makers will have to supply factory fit as standard i think.

i think i'm going to get a snooper indago. it does europe, has the speed camera info in and can be updated easily on SD memory card. they are a very tidy design with no wires. still expensive but they, and the road angel navigator, are starting to come down in price now. hope to see a cut for the summer motoring market yet too.

i've got a 06 on order for may but sat nav was just never a thought. my dealer agreed when i thought that a 1200 quid factory fit was a lot when you can get a road angel navigator for 600 notes. it just doens't make sense right now. i know VW have started to give away tom toms but eventually car makers will have to supply factory fit as standard i think.

i think i'm going to get a snooper indago. it does europe, has the speed camera info in and can be updated easily on SD memory card. they are a very tidy design with no wires. still expensive but they, and the road angel navigator, are starting to come down in price now. hope to see a cut for the summer motoring market yet too.

As ever, thanks for the info - more than enough to get me going - looks like the tomtom, but I don't like the wires :dry: !

Cheers Guy's :thumbs:

If you dont like the wires, you could always hardwire it in.

It would involve making a small hole in the rear/bottom of the cubby hole, feeding the wire through that, and hard wiring it into the lighter wiring behind the centre console.

Ive not done it myself, but I did something very similar on the Golf. Where there is a will there is a way.

You could leave enough cable behind the unit in the cubby hole to allow you to pull it out and remove the unit for security, and pop it back in when you want it.

It shouldnt be too difficult to get rid of the wires..

Have you consideered running TomTom software on a smart phone? You dont have the hassle of the wires (assuming the battery is changed), it will use an in-car kit for the sound and you take it with you when you leave the car.

I've been using a Nokia 6600 with TomTom for a good 8 months and it is fantastic, the only thing you cant do is change settings or destination on the move - but you shouldnt be doing that with any system.

All you woul dnee dto fit is a simple clamp type docking station to the dash or by suction cup on the screen.

As ever, thanks for the info - more than enough to get me going - looks like the tomtom, but I don't like the wires :dry: !

Cheers Guy's :thumbs:

I know what you mean. I hate visible wires too. My plan is to hard wire a Tom Tom unit into the car. Probably in June once im back home.

Im thinking, a power wire straight from the battery into the centre console (all wires hidden) with some kind of switch hidden somewhere, so I can turn the power on and off.

Im informed it is easy enough to do.... :wacko:

so do you guys think that the tom tom is the best out there on the market? is there anything better in the handheld gps satnav range? i haven't committed yet but i'm thinking the snooper indago or road angel navigator. has tom tom got a speed camera version out yet?

any help much appreciated.

The TomTom Go I've ordered comes with a free speed camera download.

I've treid the TomTom 5 Version on a PDA Phone (the HP i-paq 6515) but prefer the idea of hiding it in the centre console to having give-away (!) sticker marks on the inside of the windscreen.

Regarding maps - I'm told (but have no experience yet) that by their nature all maps are goint to be out of date, but that TomTom has the nest ones for Europe, whilst Garmin are the best for the USA (its down to the mapping companies they use).

Be careful if waiting 'til June - The new TomTom models, whilst having some nice features, wont physically fit in the centre console because they are 1cm taller.

Cheers

JohnK

so do you guys think that the tom tom is the best out there on the market? is there anything better in the handheld gps satnav range? i haven't committed yet but i'm thinking the snooper indago or road angel navigator. has tom tom got a speed camera version out yet?

any help much appreciated.

I've got the Snooper Indago - fantastic bit of kit, although a bit more expensive.

It involves subscription to get the regular speed camera updates

Gus

• 2 months later...
But as has been said before (by myself and others) the new x10 series wont fit in the dash cubbyhole. The extra 1cm height will require surgery!

Are you going by the dimensions on the website or by experimentation?

I've had both the x00 and the x10 series placed both together and I can confirm the x10 is in fact shorter and narrower, but slightly deeper - in reality, leading me to believe the x10 will fit fine (at least in the MY03 cubby)