DNA database

Stew

Is having a DNA database a good idea?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Is having a DNA database a good idea?

• Yes
    • No

Good or Bad idea?

This is a serious one (for a change!) With all the calls for a national database ongoing at the moment I was just wondering what others thoughts were on this?

I personally have nothing to hide and think it's a good idea (I also think the death penalty is a good idea too so I'm not adverse to controversy) as it could be a deterrent for serious crimes.

Any other good views or points on this?

Bear in mind how useless UK PLC is at protecting your information - lost laptops, anyone-can-search-and-find etc.

How long before NHS or BUPA have access and are excluding you from healthcare? etc

If the DNA is held as a signature (a bit like an RSA key, based upon your real data, but the real data is never held) then I'm all for it - but if UK PLC wants to keep a copy of my full DNA then no.

Either way, the government will **** it up, guaranteed.

Guest prescience

Since the police have proposed that this is a good idea, they should take the lead and enforce all serving officers to provide their DNA. Then let's take it from there ;)

I'm with Steve on this one - its a good idea but they will **** it up big stylie -

I worked for the public sector once for 9 months - yikes - makes you scared how slack security and personal data can be - I mean if your running tests on new system builds you make up the data dont you - you dont use a copy of the real data do you!! :dry: No brainer!

But if you have nothing to hide then no worries - its more about who controls that data - oh bit of an X files conspiracy job here....... :wacko:

Guest prescience
I'm with Steve on this one - its a good idea but they will **** it up big stylie -

I worked for the public sector once for 9 months - yikes - makes you scared how slack security and personal data can be - I mean if your running tests on new system builds you make up the data dont you - you dont use a copy of the real data do you!! :dry: No brainer!

But if you have nothing to hide then no worries - its more about who controls that data - oh bit of an X files conspiracy job here....... :wacko:

Nothing to hide eh ..... ;)

Once that information is in the public domain, the next step is insurance companies becoming involved, pre-disposition to diseases, very slippery slope IMO

Once that information is in the public domain, the next step is insurance companies becoming involved, pre-disposition to diseases, very slippery slope IMO

Well exactly my point its about who controls this info and what they do with it?

Its great having a joined up set up where you have easy access to all data in one place for example - I mean the DVLA licensing online doodar is great - no queueing for 3 days at post offices anymore BUT!!! There are lots of ways and commercially available methods to gain access to info... this worries me - they cant do anything right in this country except breed frikkin Chavs! :rant:

Guest prescience

Well exactly my point its about who controls this info and what they do with it?

Its great having a joined up set up where you have easy access to all data in one place for example - I mean the DVLA licensing online doodar is great - no queueing for 3 days at post offices anymore BUT!!! There are lots of ways and commercially available methods to gain access to info... this worries me - they cant do anything right in this country except breed frikkin Chavs! :rant:

You've hit on what IMO is the correct solution. Personal data records remain with the individual in their entirety and are uploaded piecewise to wherever they are needed (subset of) under the control of and at the discretion of the individual whose records they remain.

It's so simple and non-centristic if the individual is at the hub rather than at the end of a very long, uncontrolled, spoke :D

Im not particularly bothered if my dna is on a database. If the database helps catch criminals then fine, but also, could it be used for other positive actions, such as helping find suitable matches for kidney donors, no need to wait to see if you are compatble with someone you want to help out - you just volunteer and they can match you up with a suitable candidate to receive your organs instantly.

If they find a cure for a certain disease that can be identified through dna, they can ensure everyone who may be affected gets the vacination/cure before costing the nhs more money in treatment at some point in the future.

There are a lot of positives that the database could be used for, but the security of such a database would be a serious concern.

Guest prescience
If the database helps catch criminals then fine, but also, could it be used for other positive actions, such as helping find suitable matches for kidney donors, no need to wait to see if you are compatble with someone you want to help out - you just volunteer and they can match you up with a suitable candidate to receive your organs instantly.

I'm still using mine :lol:

Medium/long term the need for 'matches' to others for transplants will fade - 2 or 3 years IMO

Guest prescience

50 years or maybe less down the line, it will all be regimented and controlled. Variations from the norm, 'mutants', how will they be treated, I wonder?

Still in 50 years, it will be possible to keep people alive indefinitely anyway -good or bad, it's inevitable :thumbs:

I don't disagree with all the good it could do, but the scale and type of danger it has the potential to cause unfortunately leads me to not want it to happen. Everything has a price and at some point someone involved with the set-up will get bought and an accident would leave the information in the wrong hands. I certainly wouldn't want other bits of me grown by scientists - people would be stitched up for crimes left right and centre.

It seems to me that the second you put people's own unique DNA on a database, it is no longer unique.......... :dry: